facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Headlight conversion '72 CT 2

• DD430
  • DD430's Avatar Topic Author

Headlight conversion '72 CT 2 was created by DD430

I think that everything has finally been sorted out on the '72 CT 2.

The last part of it was to get a workable headlight on it. The three items that I used were a:

5 3/4" headlight unit from Octane via Amazon (OCTANE LIGHTING 5-3/4" Motorcycle 6V Headlight Headlamp Halogen H4 Light Bulb 6 Volt 35/35W),

Also from Amazon a 6V LED H4 Bulb (6V 56 SMD H4 LED Lamp Motorcycle Headlight Bulb Motorbike 12W 1200LM 6000K White High/Low)

Lastly I used wire clips to hold the headlight into the bucket from Classic British Spares. (Lucas Headlamp Rim Fixing Wire Clips (6) - 504665 ) www.classicbritishspares.com .

The total cost was around $50.00.

I've successfully run LED lights on other vehicles but not from this manufacturer so I can't attest to the quality or reliability of this H4 but, for the time being at least, it is 'seeable'. I'll keep you all posted.
Sears Allstate 106
Honda Superhawk CB77E
BSA Starrfire
BSA Goldstar
Honda 400T
BMW K75
BMW R1100
BMW R1100RT
Honda Elite 80
Yamaha CT 2
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Camp3, Ethan
01 Apr 2019 13:53 #1

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Luke on topic Headlight conversion '72 CT 2

Very curious about headlight upgrades. So did you buy the halogen setup just to get the housing/reflector to use the LED bulb in? Did you compare the halogen light output to the LED (or to the original sealed beam)? Does that LED bulb have a built in bridge rectifier, or is it just using half of the AC wave? Any flicker at low revs?
01 Apr 2019 16:11 #2

• DD430

Replied by DD430 on topic Headlight conversion '72 CT 2

I originally bought the piece from Octane simply to use with the 6V 35/35 H4 bulb. The H4 that they sent me turned out to a 12V so it just barely glowed. On a whim, I gave the LED a try without a rectifier so, consequently, there is a little 'flicker' at low RPMs. The flicker is not as noticeable as the 'pulsating' headlights on modern bikes. I don't know if the AC will fry the bulb over time but I guess that I'll fin out.
Sears Allstate 106
Honda Superhawk CB77E
BSA Starrfire
BSA Goldstar
Honda 400T
BMW K75
BMW R1100
BMW R1100RT
Honda Elite 80
Yamaha CT 2
01 Apr 2019 16:36 #3

Replied by darinm on topic Headlight conversion '72 CT 2

Curious to see if it lasts, my CT2 still has the original headlight and it's painfully dim if it gets dark out.
1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
2000 Suzuki RM100
2003 BMW F650GS
2009 Yamaha WR250R
2013 Yamaha XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ethan
01 Apr 2019 16:56 #4

• DD430

I'll keep everybody posted.
Sears Allstate 106
Honda Superhawk CB77E
BSA Starrfire
BSA Goldstar
Honda 400T
BMW K75
BMW R1100
BMW R1100RT
Honda Elite 80
Yamaha CT 2
01 Apr 2019 16:57 #5

Replied by Ethan on topic Headlight conversion '72 CT 2

Really glad to see someone attempting a headlight conversion! My '72 CT2's original headlight seriously sucks after dark. I hope to see more updates from you showing this long term to see if I can do the same! Do you have a picture of inside the can?

Appreciate your work,
Ethan
1972 Yamaha CT-2
Custom Yamaha Banshee 350
1992 F-150 XLT - I6 w/ M5OD
01 Apr 2019 19:58 #6

• DD430

Ethan, the 5 3/4" headlight conversion piece from Octane simply looks like the backside of similar sized sealed beam headlight with the rear side being made out of metal instead of glass. The H4 light bulb slips into position and his held by the 'normal' H4 spring clips. In order to get the new 'contraption' to 'hold' the chrome headlight ring you have to use wire 'clips'. The clips that I used came from Classic British Spares. Here's an installation video on that process:
Sears Allstate 106
Honda Superhawk CB77E
BSA Starrfire
BSA Goldstar
Honda 400T
BMW K75
BMW R1100
BMW R1100RT
Honda Elite 80
Yamaha CT 2
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ethan
02 Apr 2019 04:11 #7

Replied by Ethan on topic Headlight conversion '72 CT 2

Thank you! I'm in the middle of repairs so this will have to wait a while (probably until after I bore out and port the cylinders, even) but this looks like a killer upgrade.

Thanks again,
Ethan
1972 Yamaha CT-2
Custom Yamaha Banshee 350
1992 F-150 XLT - I6 w/ M5OD
02 Apr 2019 19:20 #8

Replied by liferbiker on topic Headlight conversion '72 CT 2

6v is an H-6 35/35. Thats what I'm going to try out, but I too would like 2 know if LED works out, w/14 watt consumption, u could add a 20 watt driving type beam as well, from Baja experience, a driving lite is a real Plus off road, I've never driven w/LED lit vehicle, is it like that funk LED flashlights put out, or white like incandessant lite?
02 Apr 2019 23:52 #9

• DD430

The headlight is bright white 6000K in terms of 'color'.

I haven't ridden at night with it but it certainly lights up a dark 2 -car garage. Again, it does gives a slight flicker at low RPM's that disappears as the RPM's increase. (I've got a 6 - volt rectifier from an old, early 70's Suzuki that I might toss into the mix to see if that disappears completely but I don't see it as a 'real' problem) but, then again, DC power produced by a 'generator' has the same sort of characteristics when it's used to power a light - the current doesn't reverse as it does in AC power but it does go 'up and down': When the bike idles down the lights get dim and when it's under full power they get brighter. Many lights 'flicker' when they're on. Florescent lights, for instance, can produce a real irritating flicker in some instances. HID lights in vehicles can do the same thing. LED lights can do the same thing as well. (If you watch a 'film' of a new car with 'halo' headlights, for instance, they will show a noticeable 'flicker' when filmed with a digital camera.. That flicker isn't really perceptible to the human eye but it's very perceptible when seen through the lens of a digital movie camera.)

I'm not an electronics 'wiz' by any stretch of the imagination but I wonder why the headlight on CT is run off of the magneto -an AC form of current - anyway? I understand the purpose of having the light come on only when the key is in the number II position - and why it goes out when the bike isn't running (as it wouldn't take any time at all to kill the tiny battery if the light continued to pull power from the battery) but why wasn't the headlight simply 'switched' and then run on the same 'rectified' power circuit that operates the brake lights and turn signals? Being that I'm only as bright as a 6V bulb anyway there are a lot of things that I don't understand!

(The following is a pretty good explanation of the differences between AC and DC current and where the two types are used: electronicsclub.info/acdc.htm with regard to 'where' the two forms of generation are used.)

Maybe I'll get the bike out tonight to see how far the light projects down the road. I'll be equally interested to see how durable the light is in regard to vibration of the CT.
Sears Allstate 106
Honda Superhawk CB77E
BSA Starrfire
BSA Goldstar
Honda 400T
BMW K75
BMW R1100
BMW R1100RT
Honda Elite 80
Yamaha CT 2
03 Apr 2019 03:21 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart