facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Headlight conversion '72 CT 2

Replied by Swoop56 on topic Headlight conversion '72 CT 2

I was due to see Ozzy in concert , about three weeks back .
Concert was cancelled due to his health and recuperation time needed .
Yes , Randy was absolutely a brilliant technical guitarist .
Who knows what he may have accomplished had he lived longer .
06 Apr 2019 23:06 #21

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Ethan on topic Headlight conversion '72 CT 2

Are you still working on this? I'm interested to see if you find a set up that works.
1972 Yamaha CT-2
Custom Yamaha Banshee 350
1992 F-150 XLT - I6 w/ M5OD
04 Jun 2019 20:43 #22

• DD430
  • DD430's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by DD430 on topic Headlight conversion '72 CT 2

Not actively but I have been thinking about it: As I see it, the key is to convert the power for the LED from AC to DC. With that thought in mind, why not run a separate wire directly from the battery to the headlight, eliminating the need for an inline rectifier? You'd need a separate headlight switch to make it work but that should bet fairly simple. I mean it wouldn't work for the 'purist' but it would at least allow you to ride home after it got dark at night. Another possibility would be to simply use a couple of the rechargeable bicycle 'headlights' that clamp on to the handlebars - they're small and relatively unobtrusive. In any event, they're extremely bright and the good ones can carry a 4 hour charge.
Sears Allstate 106
Honda Superhawk CB77E
BSA Starrfire
BSA Goldstar
Honda 400T
BMW K75
BMW R1100
BMW R1100RT
Honda Elite 80
Yamaha CT 2
05 Jun 2019 02:27 #23

Replied by liferbiker on topic Headlight conversion '72 CT 2

Also why Britts can stomach warm beer!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Bigdog302
05 Jun 2019 06:42 #24

Maybe a solid state rectifier & voltage regulator in light circuit would do it, you'd have a more stable dc and voltage protection as well
05 Jun 2019 06:57 #25

is it brighter than an H6 30/30 would produce? Thats what I'm gonna try, I think it will fit in my stock headlamp as bulb looks removable, and pic of H6 looks like regular bulbs in pictures @ dratv.
05 Jun 2019 07:05 #26

Replied by Bigdog302 on topic Headlight conversion '72 CT 2

Yeah, because they have Lucas Refrigerators! :beerchug :silly:
2 1968 DT1s,1970 RT1M,1970 DT1C,1971 RT1B,1971 Honda Z50K2,1974 DT100A 1974DT250A,1974 Honda MT250,2 1975 DT400Bs,1975 Honda CR250M1,1978 DT175E,1979 Honda CR250R.
Dave
Jesus is Lord!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Snglsmkr
05 Jun 2019 09:37 #27

Replied by DVM on topic Headlight conversion '72 CT 2

Hi all, I have an update to the LED headlight conversion. My CT3 headlight (like many other enduros) was always quite dim, so time for a change. I obtained a 5 ¾ inch h4 headlight assy, and the 6V 56 SMD H4 LED Lamp Motorcycle Headlight Bulb Motorbike 12W 1200LM 6000K White High/Low also.

Yes, LED's will work with AC voltage (like any diode they only pass ½ of the sine wave). The problem DD430 had was the CT lighting coil puts out too much power for the LED headlight bulb and as experienced will burn it out.

The solution that I used was to slightly modify the CT wiring. From the wiring harness I added (soldered) a wire to the blue wire that goes from the key switch to the taillight. I did this AFTER the connector from the key switch on the harness itself. I ran this wire to headlight bucket along the harness. On the end of this wire I attached a shielded female connector.

In the headlight bucket I unplugged the two wire (pink/blue) connector. The pink wire goes to the horn. The blue wire is the headlight wire from the key switch through this connector to the high/low beam switch. I turned the connector and plugged the connector together so the pink line was connected but not the blue wire. On the blue wire male connector I then connected to the female connector of the wire that I had installed. I did it this way so I could easily reconnect the headlight normally if I choose to replace the LED bulb with a 25/25 watt h4 bulb.

Now when I turn the key switch to headlight position I have 6 volt battery power to the LED headlight. Also, wiring the system this way the battery is receiving extra “night time charging" to easily provide the extra power for the headlight.

I measured the power consumption on the battery without the engine running and with the high beam the drain on the battery was only ½ ampere. On low beam the power used was less than ¼ ampere. Also, please note that I am using an LED tail/brake light that reduces power consumption on the battery.

One more thing I did was to change the 6 volt instrument lights to 12 volts (the instrument lights still use the AC voltage from the headlight coil). They light up nice and have not burnt out yet.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, islandracer
Last edit: 05 Aug 2019 13:46 by DVM.
05 Aug 2019 13:36 #28

Replied by DVM on topic Headlight conversion '72 CT 2

A quick update regarding the LED headlight upgrade after taking a test ride last night. WOW , ever since I have owned my CT3 (since 2005) this is the first time that I can really see the road at night!! :OnFire

Now I need to fix my high/low beam switch. With the original headlight (25/25 watt bulb) it really didn't seem to make a difference if it was on low beam or high beam. So, I never bothered to fix the high/low switch after breaking the knob off many years ago. This LED headlight really does have a low and high beam and there is a real difference!

This headlight conversion really can be made to work!!Yay2
The following user(s) Liked this Post: TheMonkey, islandracer
08 Aug 2019 14:18 #29

Replied by islandracer on topic Headlight conversion '72 CT 2

Any long term update? I just picked up a ct3 as my first 6v bike and am struggling with the headlight. I live up in the mountains with not much street lights and miss my xt600 with 3 LEDs up front. Definitely want to try this mod.
31 Aug 2020 18:46 #30

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart