facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Detonation After Boring Cylinder

Replied by asco on topic Detonation After Boring Cylinder

No good reputation machine shop will touch a cylinder without a piston. That doesn’t mean they know the correct tolerances. Or’ if the customer is a total newbie.
asco
YAMA-LAND RESTORATION,
( 818 ) 521-2109
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
1971 CT1-C (BRANDY)
1970 DT1-C (MONICA)
1972 AT2M (ZIFFLE)
1970 CT1-B (HULK)
1971 DT1E (GINA)
1970 CT1-B (CLIDE)
24 Aug 2023 08:31 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Yamfan on topic Detonation After Boring Cylinder

Might be a good idea for the OP to strip the top end, and I would guess the cause of the noise should be very clear?
24 Aug 2023 09:25 #12

• Misumena
  • Misumena's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Misumena on topic Detonation After Boring Cylinder

@ASCO I wouldn't classify myself a TOTAL newbie, but I'm pretty close lol. I'm certainly not afraid to admit my ignorance or ask questions!

@TZSV4K As for them having the piston - keep in mind it happened a while back now and I was pre-occupied with starting school, so my memory isn't the best from then - I gave them the old piston and I do believe they had the new over-sized one before they did any work; however, I don't know what their procedures are! Quite a few people had recommended this shop to me, so maybe I was the one unfortunate soul who had the new apprentice machine my cylinder ahahaha. Once the bike fully warms up, the slap decreases quite a bit though!

I believe some of my worries/ concerns stem from just not being around old 2-strokes enough and having a solid feeling of how they should sound and perform. Additionally, I love these bikes and it would be awfully painful to have one blow up on me so there is a bit of a fear factor there too hahaha!
24 Aug 2023 09:38 #13

Why not strip the top end, and find out what is making the noise? Its a very simple job.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Misumena
24 Aug 2023 09:48 #14

• Misumena
  • Misumena's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Misumena on topic Detonation After Boring Cylinder

@YAMFAN Yes! I plan on doing that this coming weekend! I've just been dogged after work this past week so I haven't gotten to it yet.
24 Aug 2023 09:55 #15

When you have the top end off, check the bore clearance with feeler gauges.

Measure clearance bottom centre of rear of piston, and cylinder bore.

Take measurements with piston at the bottom of stroke, mid stroke, and top of stroke.
24 Aug 2023 10:18 #16

Replied by Ht1kid on topic Detonation After Boring Cylinder

Can you post a video of it running so we can hear how much rattle before you take it apart 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: asco
Last edit: 24 Aug 2023 16:04 by Ht1kid.
24 Aug 2023 16:02 #17

Replied by asco on topic Detonation After Boring Cylinder

Put a few extra ounces if 2 stroke oil in the fuel tank rock the bike with the front brake on and ride the bike for 20 minutes waiting to hear or feel a power loss. You can rebuild her.

If you’re not blowing up your projects you’re either afraid or not going fast enough. Trust your gut. You’re not experienced enough to determine what MIGHT BE WRONG. 

you’re getting bad information. 2 stroke engines are tough!

asco
YAMA-LAND RESTORATION,
( 818 ) 521-2109
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
1971 CT1-C (BRANDY)
1970 DT1-C (MONICA)
1972 AT2M (ZIFFLE)
1970 CT1-B (HULK)
1971 DT1E (GINA)
1970 CT1-B (CLIDE)
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Misumena
Last edit: 24 Aug 2023 16:52 by asco.
24 Aug 2023 16:50 #18

Replied by Ht1kid on topic Detonation After Boring Cylinder

In post #1 you said you had the crank bearings replaced did the same shop rebuild your crank we really need that video we all are guessing we are going down a rabbit hole 
Last edit: 24 Aug 2023 17:13 by Ht1kid.
24 Aug 2023 17:12 #19

Replied by RT325 on topic Detonation After Boring Cylinder

Not totaly relevant but is the clearance on the piston--therefore being 1.5 thou .035mm under the stated bore size, or is the clearance on the bore--like first over 0.25mm + .035mm clearance.
I guess it doesn't matter if the piston is supplied to the machine shop with the cylinder.
Na it'll be on the piston? i think because Std sizes went in 96 97 etc so just under the std size.
Then again i'm talking myelf into a corner & could be totaly wrong.
Also piston rattle can happen even after boring if it didn't cleanup around the ports by a significant amount but doubt that happened or the shop would have said--need the next oversize or it leaves them looking bad if it catches up with them.
Just an aside--with my "86 KX125 i bought new, every new genuine [according to the box] piston kit i fitted would eventually stretch the gudgeon boss of the piston & rattle like mad.
Original piston never did that & i'd refit 'that' if there was a wait for the new kit to arrive, & had to go race in the weekend. Seems crazy but happened each time.
Being a 125 it was on full song from the flag drop pretty much. But eemed like their genuine replacements were made out of cheese lol. Best bike i ever had, that one.
Edit--best Non Yamaha i ever had--get it right lol.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sneezles61
Last edit: 24 Aug 2023 17:39 by RT325.
24 Aug 2023 17:38 #20

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart