facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Detonation After Boring Cylinder

• Misumena
  • Misumena's Avatar Topic Author

Detonation After Boring Cylinder was created by Misumena

Hey Everyone:

I've got a '72 CT2 which I've returned to now that I'm wrapping up with school. About 2 years ago I had the cylinder bored to the next size up and got a new Wiseco piston, since then I've barely ridden the bike. Now that I've returned to the bike, I've started it up and rode it around a bit; however, it sounds like a marble in a coffee can!! The bike will start up in one kick when cold which is awesome, but with the ignition off I can hear some piston slap while kicking it over. Additionally, it sounds like the bike is detonating like a madman when revving it in neutral and when rolling off of the throttle from accelerating... I thought detonation was primarily during acceleration/ under load! (Edit: after writing this and thinking, maybe I should play with the timing again) 

In the past I have:
• Replaced the big and small end bearing on the crank
• Replaced the bottom end bearings on the crankshaft
• Replaced the reed valves

Oh! And I'm running premix, ~ 30:1 as the oil pump was taken out by some previous owner.

My questions to you fella's:
1. In your experience, do some machine shops bore just a teeeenny tiiiny bit over to "be safe" and avoid an angry customer having a stuck piston?
2. After a rebore to the next size up, is it common to have detonation if the jets in the carb have not been sized up as well? 
3. From a preventive maintenance stand point, what are the primary concerns of piston slap when it comes to cylinder/piston health? I figure the skirt could break apart if its really bad.

Sorry for the long post! I look forward to any input y'all may have, this site has been my bike-bible as of late 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Thank you - M

21 Aug 2023 10:10 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RT325
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by RT325 on topic Detonation After Boring Cylinder

Just a guess but old style wiseco's like i've used once on my 360 run extra clearance so i wonder if they gave it extra extra or simply made a mistake in measuring. Especially if you can hear it kicking over. Best lift the cylinder & piston to do a simple check for a start & see what feeler blade you can get between lower skirt & cylinder. Pop rings off & insert it as it would be when running, arrow forward--if has an arrow. Probably what ya hearing on a closed throttle from revs is still piston rattle. Be sure the piston isn't contacting the head too. Could reach in with reed valve removed & piston up high in the inlet port & see if clearance can be felt. Then again maybe not as don't want the flywheel magnets moving piston & catch ya finger--was just a random thought.
Last edit: 21 Aug 2023 16:10 by RT325.
21 Aug 2023 16:07 #2

Replied by asco on topic Detonation After Boring Cylinder

I don’t like to quote people especially when I am not certain as age / memory set in. 

Doesn’t ??????????  call them; SeizeCo pistons?

None the less a CT2 is not that difficult to find in Yamaha. And detonation may not be directly related to Weisco. 3.5 thousandths might be loose enough for expansion of that specific piston.

Rule of thumb on jetting is go up one or two sizes on the main jet on auto pump delete. 

My guess you’re running lean two sizes too small on the main… easy fix if you catch it soon enough.

asco
YAMA-LAND RESTORATION,
( 818 ) 521-2109
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
1971 CT1-C (BRANDY)
1970 DT1-C (MONICA)
1972 AT2M (ZIFFLE)
1970 CT1-B (HULK)
1971 DT1E (GINA)
1970 CT1-B (CLIDE)
The following user(s) Liked this Post: msavitt
Last edit: 24 Aug 2023 09:57 by Enduronut.
21 Aug 2023 16:25 #3

Replied by Ht1kid on topic Detonation After Boring Cylinder

If you haven’t taken it apart take a video of it running and post it
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
Last edit: 21 Aug 2023 16:58 by Ht1kid.
21 Aug 2023 16:58 #4

Replied by MarkT on topic Detonation After Boring Cylinder

Nothing wrong with Wiseco.  I've used them for decades under extreme conditions. 

Hard to find a machine shop these days that sets the clearance properly to Yamaha... or in this case Wiseco specs...  without adding a little extra. 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

You won't break a skirt on a Wiseco at least...  stock cast piston could break with excessive clearance. 
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: asco, Ht1kid
21 Aug 2023 17:25 #5

Replied by yam-fan on topic Detonation After Boring Cylinder

Forged pistons need more bore clearance, and are not a good idea for DT motors, as cast pistons are easily available.

When the 2T 500GP class was a thing, all the factories used cast pistons, except for Kawasaki, who used forged pistons for one season before returning to cast.

Remove top end of your motor, and check the piston to cylinder clearance with feeler gauges. If it's excessive, that will be the cause of the noise.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325
22 Aug 2023 00:33 #6

• Misumena
  • Misumena's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Misumena on topic Detonation After Boring Cylinder

Wow. Thank you guys for the detailed thoughts and opinions! This helps me out so much, I'm so grateful for your help and this site as a research resource.

I absolutely love working on bikes and have taken a fair share of heads and cylinders off so I don't think any of the suggestions are too much! Also, after reading some more I figure its not detonation or pre-ignition going on, more than likely some slappy piston. Regardless taking the head off will certainly help me diagnose some more. I am relived to hear that Wiseco pistons aren't necessarily a bad piston!

- Quick side note of pure Yamaha enduro luck... my friend - who is also a Yamaha enduro fanatic like me - won an auction where we live on a 1978 IT175 for $200 CAD a few weeks ago. Listed as Inoperable (with all plastics and stock parts on the bike) we got it into my garage and its got 130psi compression even with the air filter delete package!! We cleaned the carb and she fired right on up, always a glorious feeling!

Thanks again for the help everyone, y'alls opinions are highly valued!

-M
22 Aug 2023 06:39 #7

Replied by Yamfan on topic Detonation After Boring Cylinder

When those cylinders have excessive clearance, they are pretty loud. If your cylinder does have 2 much clearance, you will need to either live with the noise, or get it bored and a bigger piston fitted.

Bear in mind, that if you have a forged piston fitted, its a good idea to warm the motor up, before using wider throttle openings, which will give the piston the chance to expand as much as it going to.
22 Aug 2023 06:49 #8

Replied by asco on topic Detonation After Boring Cylinder

You can only see pitting on the inside of the head after removing it if it’s truly detonation. Moon craters is a good visual description. My eBay listing for a DT1 GYT CYLINDER HEAD at $195.00 shows previous detonation.

asco
YAMA-LAND RESTORATION,
( 818 ) 521-2109
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
1971 CT1-C (BRANDY)
1970 DT1-C (MONICA)
1972 AT2M (ZIFFLE)
1970 CT1-B (HULK)
1971 DT1E (GINA)
1970 CT1-B (CLIDE)
22 Aug 2023 06:55 #9

Replied by tzsv4k on topic Detonation After Boring Cylinder

I don’t see in the post if machine shop had possession of piston when it was bored … final hone and fitment of piston is required. 
Twin 73' DT3 250's, 73' MX 360, 83' TT600 , 73' MX 100
24 Aug 2023 08:22 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart