facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

RT3 Battery Box in a '71 RT1

• 1971DT250
  • 1971DT250's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

RT3 Battery Box in a '71 RT1 was created by 1971DT250

I installed a battery box from a '73 RT3 in my '71 RT1 to be able to install an AGM Battery (Motobatt MBT6N4). Filed 2 small notches in the sides so that the battery wires would clear. Fit right in with no other mods.

Tried to put the RT3 airbox and carb boot in as well so it would get better airflow and be able to use filter #308-14451-09 which is still available from Yamaha. The seat interferes with the top of the airbox by about 1/8". I plan to get another seat pan and modify it before installing a new foam and cover.

The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.
Last edit: 02 Dec 2015 16:44 by Devin. Reason: inserted picture
02 Dec 2015 15:45 #1

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by bart.ives on topic RT3 Battery Box in a '71 RT1

Just wanted to provide some feed back on the MotoBatt 6 Volt MBT6N4 which I have used with less than satisfying results in my 1968 DT1-250. I have used two of these batteries with the exact same results. Both terminated their lives at 12 months and 1 week, just out of the warranty period. No symptoms of battery failure prior to one cell shorting out and leaving both batteries with only 4.2 volt capacity. I did contact MotoBatt and their response was that there must be something wrong with my charging system. Yes the charging system on these older bikes is very dirty with spikes, as we all know that they are prone to blow lights. The MBT6N4 battery cost is $35 plus shipping and last only a year. I do not recommend Motobatt MBT6N4 for this installation. I have gone to a Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) Battery PS-640 @ 4.5amps 6V designed for Game Feeders or Kids Toys with a price range of $8.49 to $12.49. I have laid it on it's side to clear the seat pan as it is 3.94 inches tall and hits the seat pan. Note: I built my own battery box to fit the Motobatt battery which is much larger than either the standard battery or the SLA Battery. Even if the SLA battery only last one year the cost is three times less. I have purchase two of the SLA batteries two have one as a spare as they do have great shelf life.
Be Happy!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: HouseofEnduro
12 Jun 2020 05:05 #2

• 1971DT250
  • 1971DT250's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by 1971DT250 on topic RT3 Battery Box in a '71 RT1

Interesting. I wonder if the charging system is that much different on the '68. I have that battery in 2 of my '71s and 5 of my '73s. They all are over 4 years old. All of them still hold a charge. Also have voltage regulators in all of them.
The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.
12 Jun 2020 06:35 #3

I have a voltage regulator but just on the light circuit. The charging circuit is separate on the 68 DT1-250 and only goes through a diode.
Be Happy!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: nhsteve
12 Jun 2020 07:03 #4

Replied by Swoop56 on topic RT3 Battery Box in a '71 RT1

Have you checked your diode . If it is faulty , and AC is getting back to the battery ,
that won't be doing the battery any good .
12 Jun 2020 14:03 #5

No did not think it was an issue. But that is an excellent idea and I will do it just to ensure the diode is working correctly.
Be Happy!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: nhsteve
12 Jun 2020 14:18 #6

Replied by nhsteve on topic RT3 Battery Box in a '71 RT1

Rebuilding a '68 DT1 and searched the site for battery suggestions and found this thread. Appreciate the comments. The '68 battery box (if one can call it that 

This image is hidden for guests.

) is smaller than the one shown on the post. As I am trying to "restore" the battery needed to fit that small area. I was able to find one on (yup!) eBay by using the "PS640 SLA" term. 

Found a 5 amp hour AGM and have ordered that. Will report back with findings once I get the bike going.

Thanks, and regards. 

This image is hidden for guests.

18 Mar 2023 08:21 #7

Replied by Papawhellie on topic RT3 Battery Box in a '71 RT1

I had several motobat batteries fail and horrible customer service experiences. I make a point to share that experience to save others the heartache.  Yuasa old school for me  every time.
21 Mar 2023 18:43 #8

Replied by swm on topic RT3 Battery Box in a '71 RT1

I also just installed Yuasa in a 68 dt1.
Good luck!!
21 Mar 2023 19:07 #9

Replied by nhsteve on topic RT3 Battery Box in a '71 RT1

What Yuasa # did you use? Was it the old style 'wet' lead/acid, or sealed?

I did get the SLA I one ordered off eBay, and it does clear the retaining strap, just.
23 Mar 2023 07:58 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart