facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

JayB’s “New” DT1-CM(X?)

• JayB
  • JayB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

JayB’s “New” DT1-CM(X?) was created by JayB

I could not pass this up because it was just down the street, and I have never owned a 250 enduro.  I bought a matching frame and engine DT1-970XX with a bill of sale.  According to the VIN tables, this is a DT1-CM, an MX/GYT version of the 1970 DT1C.  Boy is it rough.  The PO said the engine is locked up.  So is the rear wheel and the throttle tube.  Several broken off bolts.  The flattest seat I have ever seen.  The tanks and exhaust seem solid.  Looks like all the autolube system is there.  And it generally looks complete.  Lots of period mods.  It is still sitting in my van because I can’t move it out alone with the rear wheel locked up.  I am trying to free it up.  Looks like someone back in the day got it minimally street legal.  Added a headlight, speedometer, horn, battery and taillight.  It has an old California tag.

I am not at all familiar with this model.  I thought the square swingarm disappeared before this model.  Any comments will be appreciated.  Looks like I will be making friends with KDI.  My intent is to make it a decent rider, not a correct restoration.

Sorry if the last picture is disgusting.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: JGersh, darinm, Schu
25 Mar 2022 11:16 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic JayB’s “New” DT1-CM(X?)

Oh wow this will be an interesting post. My kind of bike haha & love stuff like this. If that's a square tube arm the DT1MX didn't come out until "70 with round tube arm. But lots can happen in 50+ years. DT1MX had black painted motor by memory or black cylinder & head at least. GYT cylinder & head was just clean alloy. DT1MX would have had lighting coils still in there so be nice to hear she runs & rides oneday. Best of luck & SO Lucky to find it just down the road.
Steel slider forks too which is pre "70. Man it'd be most interesting to know what happens to a bike like this through 50 years. Book would be a best seller.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: JayB
Last edit: 25 Mar 2022 16:33 by RT325.
25 Mar 2022 16:30 #2

• JayB
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by JayB on topic JayB’s “New” DT1-CM(X?)

RT325 said " If that's a square tube arm the DT1MX didn't come out until "70 with round tube arm. But lots can happen in 50+ years. to find it just down the road.
Man it'd be most interesting to know what happens to a bike like this through 50 years. Book would be a best seller."

Yes I would like to know where it has been and what fun it has seen!

Did the DT1CMX have a window in the oil tank?

And I guess someone put body putty over the badge areas?  I guess I will dig in to it and find out.
25 Mar 2022 19:09 #3

Those rear shocks look interesting. Tell us more sometime when ya get there [or first thing you see looking in your van].
25 Mar 2022 19:20 #4

Replied by Swoop56 on topic JayB’s “New” DT1-CM(X?)

I have to disagree ( respectfully ), with RT's recollections .
The 70 DT1-M still had square section swingarm and steel lower fork sliders .
The round tube swingarm , and alloy fork sliders , first made their appearance on the 71 DT1 MX .
So your bike is correct in those areas , as it is .
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C., Bigdog302, JayB
Last edit: 26 Mar 2022 01:35 by Swoop56.
26 Mar 2022 01:33 #5

Yep sorry Swoop, I must be thinking "71. Remember assembling the red [sort of red wine color] DT1MX & the Black RT1MX at work so must be "71. So where are we at?--Umm, wonder if this motor has a chrome GYT [now painted] cylinder or the boreable "71 cylinder. I have a "71 cylinder that needs boring. Thanks for correcting me i need that sometimes haha.
26 Mar 2022 02:36 #6

Neat pics here, was googling for a DT1MX & think i saw one.

vintagemotofactory.com/japanese
The following user(s) Liked this Post: JayB, Sneezles61
26 Mar 2022 02:41 #7

Replied by Swoop56 on topic JayB’s “New” DT1-CM(X?)

Originally the motor would have had the chrome plated bore cylinder ,
but that could have been replaced with the later iron liner cylinder , in the 50 + years since .
I'm none too sure about the longevity of those Chrome bores .
26 Mar 2022 03:49 #8

• JayB
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by JayB on topic JayB’s “New” DT1-CM(X?)

RT325 said "Those rear shocks look interesting. Tell us more sometime when ya get there [or first thing you see looking in your van]."

The bodies are aluminum, and here are a couple of better pictures:

The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325
26 Mar 2022 09:11 #9

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

I had a GYT kit cylinder from back then & was worn around the ports [could see the alloy] but man it still turned on good despite rattling. But in my haste to use it a few years ago i used a ring i thought was right material [hanging on a nail on the wall haha] & ruined the cylinder before i got the bike off the bench. & i was #$$%%^ more than annoyed with myself. Those chrome bore kit cylinders would hold full power right to the finish line & not loose the sharp edge of power when hot like cast bores.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Swoop56, JayB
26 Mar 2022 15:39 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart