facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

DT1 214 conrod wear & rod rock.

• RT325
  • RT325's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

DT1 214 conrod wear & rod rock. was created by RT325

I mentioned rod wear caused by the cage on another post but looking at some old rods today i took a couple of pics to try & show what i meant. Can just see the wear caused by the cage over time so the roller really only end up contacting properly for 9mm width out of 15mm roller length. Rod measured 30.99mm diameter in the area rollers are left touching & the outer wear part measured 31.08mm so 3.6 thou to let the rod rock about, well the piston & little end would stop it rocking but ya get the idea. So when you feel rod rock on checking the crank its generally that--'well is on ones i've done' & not just talking DT1 but any roller bigend with a cage. I've seen them worse than that too. I wonder if it puts more load on the little end trying to keep it straight.

My B33 had crowded rollers & no cage so maybe they knew something in the 40's or 50's. Mind you my replacement had a cage. Just remembered i did that on my hot xl185 motor in a pe250 frame, ran out of cages but had a broken one so cut the ends off & cleaned them up as end thrusts & crowded double the roller amount in. I must remember to have one hand on the clutch haha just in case but been well thrashed since doing that. The hondas used to break cages when thrashed hard with go fast bits 125 185 200 two valve motor. Cage would break & tie up the bigend. Sorry--off subject. .
Last edit: 03 Sep 2021 00:03 by RT325.
02 Sep 2021 23:58 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RT325
  • RT325's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by RT325 on topic DT1 214 conrod wear & rod rock.

On reflection i should have added that how close the wheels are pressed up could mask 'that feel' a bit & i'm not sure what the recommended side clearance is now but i usually go for 12 thou--by memory. Overall crank width comes into it but still got to have rod side clearance.
03 Sep 2021 05:57 #2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart