facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Oil/Exhaust Leak Help

• NewGuy101
  • NewGuy101's Avatar Topic Author

Oil/Exhaust Leak Help was created by NewGuy101

Hello, first time poster here. My grandfather recently passed away and gave his 1970 CT1 to my Father. It was tuned up some a buy a local motorcycle mechanic to get it in running condition but after some riding we have an oil/exhaust leak where the exhaust pipe meets the engine. See attached pictures. My dad has basic mechanical skills, and I have close to none. From what I can see it looks like it might need a new O ring to keep the seal tight. Is that the correct assumption? If so, any recommendations on O rings?

Thanks in advance!
27 Jul 2020 15:01 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by yamahahaha on topic Oil/Exhaust Leak Help

Look at the parts diagram.. You may need #10 or #15 OR both

www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/1970/ct1b/exhaust
27 Jul 2020 15:14 #2

Replied by RT325 on topic Oil/Exhaust Leak Help

Despite the mess it makes its not serious & could even come up dry after an extended road ride if its been sitting for a long time. 15 says gasket but its a strip of string like stuff the you feed in around there. Might even pay to searate the two parts to make sure it's clean of old string & start again. Talking Oring, i know my KX125 had the Oring system & worked great--so it there's a heat resistant )ring you can find it'll be easy to experiment. Pipe might not be sitting square on the the flange so not sealing good. Could just weld it up solid so long as you can get at both screws. Re-thinking my KX was around the outside of the pipe flange so different & not end on seal. Also as 'yamahahaha' said above, number 10 would be a good idea too.
27 Jul 2020 15:56 #3

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Oil/Exhaust Leak Help

Welcome! from the UK.

+1 to Yamahahaha's post.

Check out the very recent thread below.

yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forums/1968...ffler-gasket-packing
28 Jul 2020 01:16 #4

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart