facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Fuel in Exhaust?

Replied by apex on topic Fuel in Exhaust?

I don't see where you addressed the exhaust tip & spark arrestor yet. Have you done that?
Allrighty Then
13 May 2020 13:43 #21

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by LHA on topic Fuel in Exhaust?

I have danced around the same problem,replaced the needle valve,problem solved.
LHA
13 May 2020 14:22 #22

• Cruiser84
  • Cruiser84's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Cruiser84 on topic Fuel in Exhaust?

I had to replace the needle valve early on due to breaking off the main jet in it (I know, not where it goes... rookie mistake). I replaced it with a mikuni needle jet 182-O-2 003-358 because I could not find the original 164-02. I'm assuming this is where my problem is at, but I had it running just fine several weeks ago aside from it bogging down on little hills.
13 May 2020 15:49 #23

Replied by LHA on topic Fuel in Exhaust?

I was thinking about the float needle and it's seat.
LHA
13 May 2020 16:45 #24

Replied by Snglsmkr on topic Fuel in Exhaust?

When she dies out remove the spark plug and check to see if it is wet with fuel (too rich or even flooded) or dry (too lean or starving for fuel). This may help narrow down the possibilities.
13 May 2020 18:38 #25

• Cruiser84

Tried this, and noticed that it was wet before pushing it down the hill. Now that I have it idling sporadically I don't have issues with the spark being too wet, but it is now beginning to look like it is wet with Autolube oil. Even on kicks that don't fire up I get puffs of white smoke.

I'm at loss. Finally bit the bullet and reached out to Bridge City Cycles in Portland for some assistance.
13 May 2020 19:01 #26

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic Fuel in Exhaust?

Let us know what they say; I'm curious myself as to what it is...
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325
14 May 2020 14:41 #27

• Cruiser84

Still waiting on a response from the shop.

I ended up tracking down a NOS main nozzle (part #214-14141-32) and purchased a new float arm. Thought I'd give this a go before letting the pros have all the fun. Now comes the fun of waiting.
14 May 2020 16:30 #28

Replied by MarkT on topic Fuel in Exhaust?

I'm 100% in agreement with LHA... I'd check to make sure petcock is not seeping when off and actually replace the float needle and seat with brand new parts.

(In response to one of your early comments that seemed to imply the needle and seat was fine because there was no fuel coming out of the overflow.... If excess fuel would always come out of the overflow, engines would never fill up with gas like yours did and many thousands of others have when the float needle and seat was leaking or seeping... especially if the petcock isn't shutting completely off (also common).)
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Snglsmkr
14 May 2020 16:47 #29

• Cruiser84

**Update**

Went and checked the petcock that both LHA and MarkT mentioned. When off, I have no flow or seeping.

I just replaced my main nozzle back to the OE spec 164-02. While the carb bowl was off I connected the fuel line and turned the petcock on. When I raised the the float arms, the fuel stopped. I can confirm that all seats are good.

I removed the exhaust again and drained several ounces of fuel out of the front curve. I then allowed everything to dry out while I reassembled the carburetor and reinstalled the exhaust. Choke on, gas on, key on... one, two kicks and I get a high rev before it sputters out. Choke off, one kick and she revs high again, then dies when given pulses on the throttle. I'm assuming it is running too rich(?) as it is not capable of burning or combusting all fuel.

Although I feel I am past the fuel in exhaust issue, I am now on to trying to keep the bike running and not sputtering out. I have reached out to Bridge City Cycles here in Portland for some assistance and they suggested swapping out the magnetto system to the VAPE CDI Ignition (hvccycle.net/yamaha-dt-rt-dt250-dt360-dt...-12v-180w-7238799dc/). I'm sure this would be an improvement, but may not be exactly what the bike needs since there is only 3,500 miles on the still ticking odometer and was running well not too long ago.

I'm still fairly certain my issues are related to the carburetor and fuel delivery. Before I go dropping ~$500 on the kit and/or $95/hr on labor, I thought I'd bring the conversation back to the prophets that be.
21 May 2020 13:16 #30

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart