facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

[Help] with my '73 DT3 250, having ignition issues

yep think i know which ones, or lets know which ones if not fixed shortly.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: AirborneSilva
08 Feb 2023 02:48 #91

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 19stuberd
  • 19stuberd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
FINAL UPDATE!

Alright everybody. I'm confident in saying that THE BIKE IS FIXED!!!

The threads on the flywheel were absolutely unusable for some reason. I thought it was a size issue so I ordered a set of pullers with different sizes and pitches but it seems that it was just a messed up 17mm x 1mm left hand thread. I turned my first puller into a DIY thread chaser by carving a couple of slots in it (like a tap) and then tapering the first few threads to guide it in. It worked pretty well I thought, but good lord this flywheel was stuck on there tight. The puller ended up just stripping the actual threads of the flywheel out. Extremely frustrating. I then decided my only option was to re-vamp my puller "design" by beefing up the bolts and adding some better hardware for all of .70 cents. When I couldn't physically twist the puller any tighter I decided to get a hammer out and gave it some gentle taps and the thing nearly exploded off of the shaft. But I got it!

Windings were slashed two layers deep, meaning it slashed through my bonus layer and one other layer. I opted to trim the damaged windings, solder an extension on, and rewind the layers. I realized then also what caused the failure in the first place: Someone had made a crimp connection under the points to a wire extending from a lighting coil that had disconnected. The wire was in REALLY bad shape and I couldn't just replace it since it travelled to the core of the coil, but I did manage to DELICATELY solder it together and heatshrink it reasonably well. I put it all back together and remounted the coil and magneto, then had to do the points timing again, which sucked. I again got it pretty close and went with that because 3.3mm just seemed completely impossible for some reason. Wired it all in, had a nice hot spark. Got a little ambitious with the ether and flooded it that night, woke up the next day, choke in, kicked it twice, started up without issue.

I just took it for a ride today and it was the best feeling on earth. I can't tell you guys how much it means to be able to finally ride this bike, and I can't thank you all enough for helping me through it all. Words truly fail me. I came into this thinking I was doomed with $2800 down the drain and now I can say that I fixed the thing myself! All that remains is to put the air filter back on (oops) and the battery holder and battery, and then I'm in business. I'm sure I'll be around to fix other things that break, but I think this thread is officially finished!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: AirborneSilva, Ht1kid, alnarv
14 Feb 2023 09:50 #92

That's great & thanks for the update. We'll be coming to you for advice now.
14 Feb 2023 12:03 #93

• 19stuberd
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Hi again everyone.

I thought I was out of the woods but apparently not. I'll try keeping it brief for once:
It ran PERFECTLY for a day.
Randomly blew a headlight and tail light, engine ran poorly. Made a post about that.
Was out riding next day and engine stopped. Magically ran again next day, stopped again.
Pulled flywheel to see source coil was too big, windings rubbed against stator and wore away. Pic attached.
photos.app.goo.gl/nmRGpUMFNb3A5c78A
Had to rewind source coil (3rd time's a charm).
Remount it all, put it on bike, weak spark.
Clean plug, no luck. Dismount stator and see points are bent so that they touch like this /| and not like this ||
Fixed points, gave em a polish, reinstalled everything. Re-timed points. Got a nice hot spark on the drill at all speeds.
I went inside with a smile on my face to get my helmet and go for a ride.

And now the engine runs like this:
photos.app.goo.gl/QkvDYFkh5vPddbJA7 - stationary
photos.app.goo.gl/vCxiaVxmzCLc7oPh6 - riding, beginning part is most telling. i just rev it at the end.

Very frustrating. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks again.
20 Feb 2023 15:25 #94

Frustrating alright, but we've all been there . At least ya not giving up easily. Run it up in the dark & look in to the flywheel & see if there's spark arcing going on.
20 Feb 2023 22:58 #95

• 19stuberd
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Will check on that once I have some dark available to use. Updates to follow later today or tomorrow. Thanks for sticking with me.
21 Feb 2023 09:21 #96

holy crap - you gave your bike an EKG?
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
21 Feb 2023 11:28 #97

• 19stuberd
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Hello again all,
Apologies for the late response, I was out of town for the weekend. I have a video of the bike in the dark and it shows the points sparking at higher RPMs. I honestly forget if that's normal at this point so feel free to let me know. I also come to you with a question which is if any of you suspect this could potentially be a carburetion issue. I have noticed increasingly that this bike outputs a pretty large amount of white smoke and smells very gassy, to such an extent that my clothes smell like it after I'm done riding it for any distance. I added a video to illustrate the extent of the smoke and to let you guys be the judge if this is normal or excessive. Also I know that the smoke is a matter of two-stroke mixing but i think that running rich could also cause such a thing, yes? Also I realized that when I re-attached the air filter it began to run worse, possibly indicating that it is air-starved. Also I forget if I mentioned this but I have a hot spark at all RPM ranges which is odd. Thanks in advance for any input.

photos.app.goo.gl/kYsiGzP91AkmR6b36 - points
photos.app.goo.gl/Ah1mNCrpbAh6LaB58 - revving video, revved it reasonably high on a WARM engine.
photos.app.goo.gl/JZ35bysN8Udioy5A6 - more revving, taken AFTER previous video, total wide open throttle from standstill does this. Notice the "choofing" sound.
28 Feb 2023 10:42 #98

Ok, my computer is old & slow so will play them all later on kids one haha. BUT--played the first one & the very bright sparking coincides with the misfiring [in that video]. So i think you have the source of the problem. But why is it ok then gets to 'those' revs & packs up--going bright spark. I'd guess condenser even though i've never ever had a faulty one. Or the condenser mount screw is loose, or the condenser wire to the points is loose, or there's something odd going on with the points buttons [i had one fall off once but on a 12volt [Victa 50cc scoot] & just went Arc Welder spark. So that's my guessing for now.
28 Feb 2023 14:41 #99

I got the others to play & yes its still my same guess--go to the points condenser area. Smoke is most likely just residual smouldering in the muffler from 50 years of getting soaked inside then along you come & give it heaps & get it all burning. Don't think its crank seal or it'd not want to run at idle & be all gaspy looking for fuel to go with the extra air of seal blown. Carb little Oring on the jet setter should be replaced just because. But i think fix the spark problem then go give it 'damn good thrashing'--that'll teach it. Keep plug gap within reason--22 max.
Last edit: 28 Feb 2023 14:51 by RT325.
28 Feb 2023 14:50 #100

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart