facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

[Help] with my '73 DT3 250, having ignition issues

Here is a nice write up on condenser relocation including part numbers, I have never had condenser problems, but the day I do I will probably follow this solution.

yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forums/74-7...condenser-relocation
The following user(s) Liked this Post: bhepp15
11 Mar 2023 15:33 #111

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 19stuberd
  • 19stuberd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Hi everyone!

Good news I think? I put in a new spark plug and the bike ran perfectly! I took it for a ride for about 15 minutes, stopped the bike for half an hour, and rode it for another 7 or 8 on my way back home. On the way home I noticed the ignition was becoming a bit choppy again (which is what has happened every time this has been an issue), which leads me to believe that maybe there's something causing the plug to foul prematurely. If I need to test this theory, I thought ahead and bought another spark plug.

Could this be an issue of too much oil being in the cylinder? That would make sense considering the large amount of smoke I mentioned earlier. If this is the case, how do I change how much oil is introduced to the system? Any other thoughts? Appreciate the replies, hope to hear from you all soon.
21 Mar 2023 13:56 #112

Replied by AirborneSilva on topic [Help] with my '73 DT3 250, having ignition issues

Have a look at this video, it helped me to not only understand the autolube but how to adjust it/test it.

Autolube how to.
2023 Tenere T7
1976 DT400C
1975 DT400
1981 DT175H
1972 DT2 250
1980 GT80
1972 JT2
The following user(s) Liked this Post: msavitt, goatboy56, Justa73
21 Mar 2023 14:13 #113

Been tracing these parts for awhile, after having same probs as you.  I bought replacements and spares. You are bidding on 1 brand new points and condenser kit for Yamaha. This is a direct replacement for the Yamaha oem points. The points and condenser kit will fit the following models...
  • dt1-dt250.........1968-71
  • dt2-dt250.........1972
  • dt3-dt250.........1973
  • mx250..............1970-71
  • dt250................1974-78
  • Check the link to his store on the right side of the page.
  • Sorry this will not let me post a link to ebay.  Search 1973 dt3 250  condenser and points. mine have not arrived yet
"LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY AND WELL PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE, THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY SCREAMING, WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!!"
Last edit: 21 Mar 2023 15:44 by Justa73.
21 Mar 2023 15:32 #114

Very helpful link to the oil pump. Thankz
"LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY AND WELL PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE, THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY SCREAMING, WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!!"
21 Mar 2023 15:59 #115

Replied by AirborneSilva on topic [Help] with my '73 DT3 250, having ignition issues

You're welcome
2023 Tenere T7
1976 DT400C
1975 DT400
1981 DT175H
1972 DT2 250
1980 GT80
1972 JT2
21 Mar 2023 16:23 #116

• 19stuberd
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
VERY interesting development!
So I took the cover off of the oil pump and it was FULL of water. I don't know how that's even possible but I would imagine that might be indicative of an issue? Also noticed that there's air bubbles in both of the oil lines and I believe the tank is low, so good thing that I checked. I took a video of the pump uncovered while the bike was running, so you guys can let me know if it looks normal or if it's pumping slower or faster than expected. I'll do a flow check soon with a syringe and verify the theory that it's over-oiling, but if you guys see anything immediately wrong please let me know.

photos.app.goo.gl/mzBpctgGMUxspFSq5 - illustrating excessive smoke produced. Also, the thick smoke actually leaks out before the exhaust pipe, illustrated at the end of the video, so that contradicts RT's theory of stuff burning inside the pipe. Also not sure if it shows up well on video but it's literally a could of smoke that encompasses the next two houses downwind of me.

photos.app.goo.gl/EJhMJhDYNEH2B2k96 - water discovery, sorry for the swearing, I wasn't thinking about me posting this here

photos.app.goo.gl/ZT85BNnYjnpCnPMS8 - pump while running. notice the already choppy ignition as well as the bubbles in both lines.
22 Mar 2023 20:11 #117

I don't really see excessive smoke, could just be the type of oil in it. The bike sounds kinda flat to me but I'm not one of the resident experts here so maybe RT325 might be right on his theory of a blocked pipe. As for the water, there's a drain hole in the bottom that is plugged and since they don't put a gasket on the cover water can and will get in there. The smoke coming out of the pipe at the cylinder is because the gasket that's between the pipe and cylinder needs to be replaced and could also be due to RT325's theory, wouldn't hurt to take it off to change the gasket and while you're at it burn the pipe out.
2023 Tenere T7
1976 DT400C
1975 DT400
1981 DT175H
1972 DT2 250
1980 GT80
1972 JT2
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Schu, Ht1kid, Sneezles61
23 Mar 2023 02:04 #118

• 19stuberd
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Does the pump seem to be functioning normally to you guys? Obviously you can't see the levels or anything and I plan to check soon, but does it seem like it's working like you would expect based off of the video? Also the smoke doesn't show up well in the video but I promise you it is an undeniably excessive amount of smoke. I was thinking I might take off and repaint the exhaust so I can check it for obstructions then. All things being considered, however, I think that the smoke plus the fouling plug plus the housing full of water might make sense.
25 Mar 2023 17:42 #119

• 19stuberd
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Hey everyone. Back again with my sisyphean bike project, I promise I have a question you guys could actually answer this time.

TL;DR Pump was broken. Fixed it. Rode it. Bike broke again, being weird, look at video.

So since our last installment, I determined the oil pump was misadjusted and at idle it was putting out 5x too much oil. I adjusted it to spec and suddenly my white death clouds disappeared! The bike ran famously, I took it to a park and rode it for a good half hour one day, started it the next day to ride to the shop 20 minutes away to get a new spark plug, got the plug, and it stopped dead as I was riding away from the shop. I gapped and swapped the plug and it did not help.

I kicked the bike once after it sat for a couple hours and it sat and idled for a good two minutes without issue, before entering the state in the video. I took it home and it's still doing it now, no idea what the issue is. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for the help.

photos.app.goo.gl/VhneqqAw1YQq9Z4v8
12 Apr 2023 14:50 #120

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart