facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

73 RT3 Steering Stem

Replied by RT325 on topic 73 RT3 Steering Stem

Ball bearing original races will always get lumpy easier than taper rollers. I remember one year on scooters we were selling, the factory must've upgraded their compressor & whoever fitted the races & steering preloaded the adjustment way to much & they had Big Lumps from new. Just loosened them a bit & carried on but sure wasn't ideal.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RTD2
16 Nov 2022 17:41 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT34Me on topic 73 RT3 Steering Stem

Just order a steering stem kit from Yambits. It's dirt cheap and the bike will handle like new.
18 Nov 2022 21:04 #12

Replied by RT325 on topic 73 RT3 Steering Stem

Did you order the original or the taper type. I see both listed. Gotta be careful driving the lower cup right home as its quite a long way up in there compared to the top cup & can go crooked & pick up metal. Ask me how i know haha. Hope your lower seal is good for a turn to keep dust & dirt out.
18 Nov 2022 21:37 #13

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic 73 RT3 Steering Stem

"Gotta be careful driving the lower cup right home as its quite a long way up in there compared to the top cup & can go crooked & pick up metal. Ask me how i know haha."

+1

Also, beware of any powder coating residue interfering with the dimensions and subsequent fitment.
19 Nov 2022 01:22 #14

• bhepp15
  • bhepp15's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by bhepp15 on topic 73 RT3 Steering Stem

kind of forgot I started this thread, winter gets cold up here so the garage is tough to get out to. anyway.. I never ordered any bearings as I am just starting to put the bike back together. Dumb me forgot to remove the upper bearing race and it got powder coat on it... so now I need to order new races. To answer RD325 I think I am going to go with the original as tapered sounds like they won't work correctly. Thanks for the tip on the lower cup I'll be careful with that! Looks like I can still get all the parts from Yamaha too so it won't cost an arm and a leg.
18 Mar 2023 20:44 #15

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic 73 RT3 Steering Stem

"Dumb me forgot to remove the upper bearing race and it got powder coat on it... so now I need to order new races." 

That's probably better than removing the race, forgetting to mask off where it sits and then spend hours removing unwanted powder coating! 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: AirborneSilva
19 Mar 2023 00:28 #16

• bhepp15
  • bhepp15's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by bhepp15 on topic 73 RT3 Steering Stem

Good point, very thankful I don’t have to do that! 
19 Mar 2023 07:18 #17

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart