facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Question about timing marks on CT-1

• Tom P
  • Tom P's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by Tom P on topic Question about timing marks on CT-1

At first I tried it further upstream (toward the stator). There's a double female connector on the black wire with an empty side where I could put the wire. I did, but all it did was light up brightly no matter where I turned the flywheel. Then I pulled the tank so I could get to the coil, and put the wire in that connection, after unplugging it from the coil. Had the same result. So then it dawned on me that I needed to turn the key on, and that's when it started dimming when I turned it past the mark.

If I use the upstream double connector with the key on, then it would probably be smart to pull the spark plug wire off.
Last edit: 07 Sep 2022 18:27 by Tom P.
07 Sep 2022 18:25 #21

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RT325
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by RT325 on topic Question about timing marks on CT-1

Ok i shouldn carry it on--but--ok i understand 'i think' when you unplugged it at the coil & it still didn't work, the mag loom would still be going to the main loom, so key does come into it 'still' earthing it out when off. If you'd unplugged the black where mag loom goes to the main loom you'd have the same result you now have & with a choice of the short black low down or end of the black--both the same wire with a branch. Only realy saying this to see if i'm right or not & someone will save me haha. Like what you did & good to see the video.
07 Sep 2022 20:18 #22

• Tom P
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

After thinking about it, if I had unplugged the black wire to the secondary coil at the mag loom, and used that connection, it probably would have worked without turning the key on. However, where it plugs in they have a double female connector, so the test wire can be put there without unplugging it, which is what I did initially. As you said, the black wire at the secondary coil has a branch to the ignition switch, which earths it. Once the mag loom is unplugged, that is out of the circuit.

I'm learning as I go. Next time, I'll just unplug the black at the mag loom, then put the test wire there. BUT I am super happy that my eyeball/magnifying glass setting of the points seems to be spot on, and now I can easily recheck it down the line.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, RT325, Sneezles61
Last edit: 07 Sep 2022 21:01 by Tom P.
07 Sep 2022 20:56 #23

Replied by MarkT on topic Question about timing marks on CT-1

Pretty sure I mentioned disconnecting in test light instructions...  anyway, you figured it out!  Great job.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
08 Sep 2022 05:56 #24

• Tom P
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Mark, you did say to disconnect the black wire at the harness, but I just glossed over that, or didn't realize the reason why. So as usual, I learned the hard way :0)

By the way, I need to correct something... that bulb I used was not an LED. I found it in a package marked LED, but it's the original incandescent bulb that was in the underhood light fixture of my Ram pickup. I replaced it with an LED bulb 3 years ago, and put the old bulb back in the LED packaging. Actually many LEDs may not even work because most of them are not dimmable.

The cool thing about this bulb is that it has wire loops at each end, which makes it very easy to wrap wire around them and solder. I put heat shrink around the ends of it, so if it touches the engine case it won't spark

This is a similar one.

www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/eiko-lighti...-2016-ram-1500?pos=1
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
08 Sep 2022 07:20 #25

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart