facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Leaky float, worth saving?

• Tom P
  • Tom P's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Leaky float, worth saving? was created by Tom P

Under the category of, it's always something. I'd noticed what looked like a little bit of gas overflowing from the left side of bowl when I had bike on the kickstand. Went for a long ride and when I got back, gas just started flowing out of the overflow.

Took the carb apart, and one of the floats has a lot of corrosion and is weeping. Had enough gas in it that it wouldn't allow the needle valve to seat. Drilled a hole and it's draining out, I wonder if this is worth saving? I'm thinking maybe I can smear some thin solder over the entire surface, or would that make it too heavy?  
13 Aug 2022 19:37 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by asco on topic Leaky float, worth saving?

Replace the entire carburetor or just the float. If you have a mini torch and some silver solder you probably could fix it? I’m thinking new / used is $40 bucks.

a
YAMA-LAND RESTORATION,
( 818 ) 521-2109
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
1971 CT1-C (BRANDY)
1970 DT1-C (MONICA)
1972 AT2M (ZIFFLE)
1970 CT1-B (HULK)
1971 DT1E (GINA)
1970 CT1-B (CLIDE)
13 Aug 2022 19:47 #2

Replied by RT325 on topic Leaky float, worth saving?

Where was it getting in,--around the original soldering. Just a small dob of solder should be ok if you can avoid bits dropping in & rattling around before you seal the hole. But what about original leak. Float or carb might be easy enough to find.
13 Aug 2022 19:51 #3

• Tom P
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by Tom P on topic Leaky float, worth saving?

I think the leaking out the side was that I just didn't torque down the four bowl screws real tight when I recently put the carb back on. I'm always cautious to try not to strip anything out. I'm working on it now, I'm doing a little bit of sanding and I'm going to try to spread some solder on it. The rest of the carburetor is in great shape, so if anything I would just get a new float. But we'll see what happens. I appreciate the replies.

By the way it looked like it was leaking out of three spots, you can sort of see them in one of the pictures I think little tiny holes. That's why I'm going to sand it down and try to smear solder over the entire surface.
Last edit: 13 Aug 2022 20:14 by Tom P.
13 Aug 2022 19:57 #4

Replied by Dennis D on topic Leaky float, worth saving?

Be real careful with a flame around that float. Don't ask how I know.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid, Tom P
13 Aug 2022 20:50 #5

• Tom P
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Well after my first attempt, I tried soaking it in a tub of rubbing alcohol, and it seemed to be taking on just a little bit, so I'm going to abandon it for tonight. By the way, I made sure not to put any flames around it, I used a heat gun gently just to heat it up a little bit to evaporate whatever was left inside.

I'll look around and see if any are available, if not, I may give it another shot.
13 Aug 2022 20:58 #6

• Tom P
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

After looking at it again, I think maybe just a little piece of solder fell inside with flux. I drilled another hole, and no liquid came out. I heated it up, and that may have loosened up the flux because then it seemed like a tiny bit of solder was shaking around. So I put a broader tip on my soldering iron, and tried to put a better coat of solder along the area in question, and sanded it as much as I could. I put it in a closed container of water, and will leave it overnight to see if it's leaking now. The first picture is after I drilled one hole and cleaned it up before soldering. Second picture is after I drilled the second hole, then gave it another coat of solder and sanding. If you look at the first picture I posted in the OP, it looks like there were three pinhole areas that were leaking, which is where the dark spots are.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Sneezles61
Last edit: 13 Aug 2022 22:01 by Tom P.
13 Aug 2022 21:45 #7

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by Ht1kid on topic Leaky float, worth saving?

Well I guess we’ll see in morning fingers crossed 
13 Aug 2022 22:12 #8

Replied by RT325 on topic Leaky float, worth saving?

You're fast becoming the expert on soldering floats. Good onya for giving it a go & hope it works out.
14 Aug 2022 04:13 #9

• Tom P
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Well it looks like the repair on that one side is okay, but I noticed the float was floating a little lower on the other side. So I went ahead and drilled a hole in the other side and sure enough a little bit of gasoline came out. It wasn't a piece of solder I was hearing, it was just gas in the other float. I identified a couple spots where it was weeping by using a heat gun and watching two areas get wet, so I attempted to repair, but the first one didn't work. So I'm still working on it. By the way it is very difficult to solder over even a tiny hole, because it heats up the air inside the float, and as soon as I take the soldering iron away it blows the solder away from the hole.
14 Aug 2022 08:22 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart