facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Points causing backfiring???

Points causing backfiring??? was created by Noble

So I've recently lost spark on an RT2 I bought as a learning tool! So far I've leant that if you pressure wash your bike while the fly wheel cover is missing screws, you fill up the whole thing and corrode the hell out of your points contacts. I waited for my fly wheel puller to show up and took the points out so I could clean them up. After putting them back it I breathed a breath of fresh air when my spark came back. I tightened it all up and went to see if I could start it, but all it does is pop & give me small smoke show ( mind you I had it running before the flood and it would usually start in a single kick or so ). The mount on the points is slotted so I figure when I put it back in I didn't quite put it back in the same position and it's causing it to misfire. Anyone know what might be going on here??? Thanks a ton in advance!!!
04 Aug 2022 13:56 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Sneezles61 on topic Points causing backfiring???

Up at the top there is a tech library… get the one fer yer bike.. there is a section that’ll tell how to adjust the timing… and so much more. It’s a great source for yer bike… i’ve an RT2 as well.
Sneezles61
Last edit: 04 Aug 2022 15:29 by Sneezles61. Reason: Spelling… darn auto correct
04 Aug 2022 15:28 #2

Replied by RT325 on topic Points causing backfiring???

Is there a chance you've pushed the flywheel crank key out behind while refitting the flywheel. Also it has to be fully tightened or the shear off the key while running. Set points at less than 15thou & that'll be near enough till we get serious on timing--2.9mm before top.
Last edit: 04 Aug 2022 15:39 by RT325.
04 Aug 2022 15:36 #3

Replied by Noble on topic Points causing backfiring???

SHE LIVES!!!! I just got finished setting my timing and maaaaan that angled spark plug hole sucks. I realized I was shorting at my points after I had replaced the crusty old wire connecting them to the condenser. Fixed that and it sparked beautifully! Now I just need to figure out why it won't go out of neutral, but that is a problem for another topic! Thanks everyone!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325, Sneezles61
05 Aug 2022 16:56 #4

Replied by RT325 on topic Points causing backfiring???

That'll open a can of worms, stuck in neutral.
05 Aug 2022 18:37 #5

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart