facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Yamaha YM2C 305 project

• robrd
  • robrd's Avatar Topic Author

Yamaha YM2C 305 project was created by robrd

Hi all, I am about to start my next project, 1967 Yamaha YM2C 305 Big Bear but don't know anything about these. Mine appears to be complete apart from air box and skid plate, I have sourced an air box from over there in America and it is being shipped over to the UK but I can't find a skid plate anywhere, so if you have one I would be interested. Could any one tell me if this model was 6 volt or 12 volt, again I can't find it anywhere. Also, does anyone know if this model was fitted with indicators and a stop light, the rear bulb is a single element just for the rear light and also I can't find a brake light switch, the indicators have the switch on the hand controls but nothing else. Any information on this model would be gratefully received. Thanks for reading.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: KennyV
23 Jun 2022 11:48 #1

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by akara1 on topic Yamaha YM2C 305 project

Hello, I have the 250cc brother to your bike, the YDS5 and I have the service manual for it and YM2c and ive been meanin to scan it somehow.
Skid plate is the same as DS6 so you can look there as well.
Indicators were optional and 2 types were available, when fitted the flasher canister is mounted either in the headlight or under the seat.
It's a 12v battery ignition. Similar to DS6. Spark plug B8-HS The brake light is only triggered off the rear brake switch, there is no front brake switch.
Alasdair Cowen at ydsparts.com has the seals and such for the engine, base and head gaskets and such are the same as YM1. Yamaha banshee ATV clutch kit can be used. Diablo cycle sells decals and seat foam and covers for it. The original carbs can be finnicky with the spigot mounted causing air leaks, and the float needle seat is hard to find.

23 Jun 2022 21:32 #2

• robrd

Replied by robrd on topic Yamaha YM2C 305 project

Hi akara1, thank you for your reply it has answered my questions plus more. There was a hole in the original seat cover which I have repaired as the rest of it is in good condition, all it needed was a good soak in baby oil to soften it up. The foam had hardened and crumbled but fortunately I had a block of foam and I shaped it into a new base, all looking good now. I have stripped the carbs down and apart from the usual rubbish inside all appears to be good, jets all free and clean and float needles are seating well. If you could scan the service manual that would be superb. I think that the skid plate is going to be hard to find so I will probably end up making one. I know this is a shot in the dark but is there a way of trying to trace the last owner of the bike from the frame number, all I know is that it came from north America and it would be nice to know a little bit of it's history. Unfortunately it never came with any information at all.
24 Jun 2022 03:09 #3

• robrd

Hi everyone, a quick update on progression of my 1967 ym2c big bear. Everything is going well with the strip down, all nuts and bolts came of easily, no striped threads or seized bolts, good result. I have given the motor a wash down, quite clean really, and removed the heads and barrels, all in really good condition, I think this bike has been well looked after. What I have found is that the crank cases are filled to the brim with nice clean oil, obviously the previous owner put this bike up with the intention of putting it back on the road at some stage but wanted to keep the motor in good condition, the pistons have been polished and the exhaust ports have been cleaned to a really good finish. All of the tin ware has been sanded down and to my amazement there is no sign of any filler / bondo anywhere, and no dents, again with the frame. It will all be done in etching primer, followed with high build primer, wet and dry sanding before top coat and lacquer. The tank, headlight, side panel, oil tank and head light brackets will all be sprayed silver before the blue top coat to get that nice finish. All of the chrome work will be sent to the re chromers to get a good finish to set the bike off. The one thing that I would really like is an original pump, for inflating the tyres, mine is missing, and also an original tool kit. I will get some photo's done and put them on so you can see the progress. Thank you all for taking time to read this and thank you for all help received. Bye for now.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid, Sneezles61
11 Aug 2022 03:47 #4

Replied by yamayeeha on topic Yamaha YM2C 305 project

Start something new! Whats not to like - look forward to the updates. 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, AirborneSilva
11 Aug 2022 05:05 #5

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by Sneezles61 on topic Yamaha YM2C 305 project

I see a 69 ds6 for sale in Craigslist, Chisholm Mn…. 650.00.. I am not able to post picts of the ad.
Sneezles61 
11 Aug 2022 06:46 #6

• robrd

Hi all, thanks for the replies, well appreciated. I have what is probably a daft question but here goes. On my ym2c both the brake and clutch lever are bent over, I have taken them off and the bends are exactly the same on both levers, my question is, are they supposed to be bent or has someone done a very good job off bending them. I don't want to straighten them if they should be bent. Also, could anyone advise me where I can download a manual for this bike?  Thanking you all for taking time to read this.
Last edit: 19 Aug 2022 03:48 by robrd.
19 Aug 2022 03:46 #7

Replied by RT325 on topic Yamaha YM2C 305 project

Doubt they'd be bent from new but if feel comfortable it might be best to live with it although not from an originality restoration point of view of course.
19 Aug 2022 16:37 #8

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Yamaha YM2C 305 project

Bent as illustrated in the parts manual, Rob? Clutch lever looked ok in your photo.

yamaha-ym2c-1967-usa-handle-and-front-fender_bigyau0729d-7_9086.gif (1240×1500) (cmsnl.com)

20 Aug 2022 00:28 #9

Replied by RT325 on topic Yamaha YM2C 305 project

Did you mean bent as in drooping comfortably or bent forward. Can't see bent forward being good. I have straightened the odd one over the years but i heated then pretty hot. Don't think you'd get two goes at it without breaking.
20 Aug 2022 17:50 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart