facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

74 DT/MX250 build

• Enduro nut
  • Enduro nut's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

74 DT/MX250 build was created by Enduro nut

I have this 74 DT250 that im turning into a partial MX250. I say partial because i dont have a MX top end but i do have a few MX parts laying around such as a 75 MX 250 pipe and an MX 250 carb that i need to date the year on still. I figured with all the parts i have laying around i mise well build something fun to ride. Pulled the motor today, cleaned off the 2 inch thick of mud and oil, i can see where the chain flew off and broke one of the mounts that holds the chain guard on which in turn also cracked the casing but no biggy my brothers are excellent tig welders.New wiseco piston kit on the way, new crank seals on the way, gotta clean up the flywheel/stator and toss a new set of points in her tomorrow. Does anyone happen know what kind of shocks these are?

05 Jun 2022 17:00 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic 74 DT/MX250 build

Shocks look a little bit like Koni's we used in the "70's. The ones I'm thinking of had adjustable damping by removing the top mount & locknut plus bottoming out rubber. Then screw top back on or find a way of turning the rod. Had to fully bottom it out & engage the slot or drive piece then turn left or right to
decrease or
increase damping. Worked good in their day. Not gas charged, just oil.
05 Jun 2022 21:07 #2

• Enduro nut
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by Enduro nut on topic 74 DT/MX250 build

Ill have to see if their adjustable when i take the swing arm off its a bit stiff which comes to no surprise. Im not sure if i want to mess with this dent in my pipe or not. Im thinking of putting a small riding mower tube in there and seeing if i can pop it but i really dont wanna break this thing lol, thoughts?

06 Jun 2022 06:12 #3

Replied by Scootern29 on topic 74 DT/MX250 build

Since your brothers are good TIG welders, weld two or three pieces of small rods in the dent, heat up the area with a torch until it's pretty red and grab the rods with some vice grips and pull the dent out. Or you could also get a long sheet metal screw andscrew it into the dent and heat the area and pull it out. They could weld up the hole and grind it smooth. It wont be perfect but most of the dent should pull out.
Question authority, think for yourself!
06 Jun 2022 07:51 #4

• Enduro nut
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

The problem with exhaust pipes is their always so thin and contaminated. I think ill try the tube first with my heat gun or maybe my torch and see where that gets me then go from there. I may end up having to weld some rods onto it as you suggested though. I will be updating this as i make progress.
06 Jun 2022 08:44 #5

Replied by hackman101 on topic 74 DT/MX250 build

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=360633097672&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

• Enduro nut
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Finally got some time to tinker with her again, had no luck popping the dent in the pipe because i couldnt get the tube to shove up in there far enough so it looks like ill be having my brothers weld some rods onto it and with a little muscle and trusty vice grips +heat im hoping i can pull her back. Looks great under the clutch cover, nothing a little brake cleaner+compressed air wont clean up.
Sadly the clutch adjuster bolt is bent, you cant see it from the pic but it is. Was able to get that out only to find the threads are all farted up so ill need to run a tap in there and see how they clean up. Crack goes all the way up into where the clutch arm goes which i figured it did. Most likely end up popping the bearing out and having my brothers tig weld it up if they can get into that tiny hole, if not then ill probably use a little JB weld.

09 Jun 2022 09:18 #7

• Enduro nut
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Been making some progress on the old girl. Had fun getting the swing arm and rear axle bolts out but i succeeded in getting them out, cleaned up, greased and ready to rock and role, same goes for the front. New brakes, just put the final coat of paint on the head and cylinder so ill have to send that out soon to have honed. I dont have any spare reeds laying around so im gonna need the whole cage and all. I was wondering if anyone knows of any performance reeds that will give me some more "giddy up" on this thing?  Its a 74 DT250 cylinder and ill be putting a 73/74 MX250 carb on once i finish cleaning it here in a sec.
19 Jun 2022 11:02 #8

Replied by shyted on topic 74 DT/MX250 build

Regarding your exhaust. The other option is quite simply fabricate a fresh piece and cut the dent out. Weld it up on the seams where you have more metal. i'm not saying it's a better idea but it would help removing the possibility of blow through on corroded metal.
21 Jun 2022 00:49 #9

• Enduro nut
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Definitely an option for sure however i did pick up a pipe at the Gilmore swap meet a few weekends ago that im going to toss on. Its in much better shape ill have to get some pics. Right now ive run into the problem regarding the throttle cable. I have a perfectly good working top piece but i dont have the 2nd piece that goes from the top half down to the slide in the carb. Im going to try and use my lower RT3 360 cable but first i need to fab something up to hold the cable in place on top of the carburetor cap. I grow tired of fighting junk throttle cables and not being able to buy these new. Maybe one of you knows of a cable that will work on a 73 MX250 carb?
22 Jun 2022 21:16 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart