facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

No Spark Cannot figure it out

• bearman61
  • bearman61's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by bearman61 on topic No Spark Cannot figure it out

Finally getting back out to the shop to try some of these suggestions. I have a brand new quality resistor cap so you never know. Stay tuned.
31 Jul 2021 09:31 #31

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bearman61
  • bearman61's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by bearman61 on topic No Spark Cannot figure it out

Ok ruled out sloppy solder on the condenser and bad spark plug boot. Next I am going to try the diagnostics that Alnarv suggested but but first I have to fix my tractor that broke down today ):
31 Jul 2021 15:48 #32

Replied by MarkT on topic No Spark Cannot figure it out

I'm still saying your points wire is too short.  Also it looks like you've installed some Chinese points with the bolt in backwards.  The bolt appears like it could be shorting out on the stator coil.

A while back someone sent me an ignition they couldn't get spark from. With a simple ohmmeter it was obvious points were not making good contact.

After cleaning points correctly (takes less than a minute) I had a reading of zero ohms with points closed and 1 to 2 ohms with points open. 

Strong spark.  Problem solved. 

I've run into the same thing dozens of times.  Yours might be more complex because you had the whole broken coil thing if I remember correctly.  But these are simple and if you get the ohms readings working with points open and closed I've never had one fail to spark. 
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Jack
31 Jul 2021 16:42 #33

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by RT325 on topic No Spark Cannot figure it out

i guess there's a insulating spacer through the middle or a step on both plastic washers that meet in the middle. Just looks a little offset in the pic above like its sitting lower from half way. Might be nothing.
31 Jul 2021 17:45 #34

Replied by iainb333 on topic No Spark Cannot figure it out

Hi Bearman - did you manage to crack this?
I have the same issue on a CT1C. Half way through a rally in October, it stopped dead on a hill in Exmoor. Hot electrical smell and no spark. Have pulled it all apart, cleaned connections and replaced condenser, points and plug. Resistance values on components seem fine.
My 'new points' were a disaster, the faces needed filing flat to make contact, and then found the phenolic block was held too tightly on the spline to close properly, so that had to come apart as well to be fixed. Points now work properly, but still no spark!
Any brilliant solution? I'm tempted to suspect the coil, though this seems unlikely - where did you get a replacement from? None available here in the UK where the CT1C wasn't sold widely.
31 Dec 2023 05:13 #35

• Tinkicker
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Tinkicker on topic No Spark Cannot figure it out

Look for part number  537-82310-10 for an ignition coil in the UK.  The same coil fits most mitsubishi mag ignition systems from TY80 to DT400.

I have two of them fitted to my bikes and both work fine.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Gr8uncleal, Ht1kid
31 Dec 2023 07:25 #36

Replied by RT325 on topic No Spark Cannot figure it out

Hot electrical smell has me thinking.
There's no direct battery relationship with the ignition that could cause that.
But i wonder if somewhere in the wiring loom there has been a battery dc short which has burnt through to a ac spark black wire or black/white.
That's stretching the imagination a bit though.
You can bypass everything by running black from the mag direct to the plug coil wire which might be orange but only one wire into the coil so can't get lost.
Maybe i've just been lucky at the time but for me any single wire ignition coil has worked on my bikes.
Not recommending my methods but plenty of cheap coils on ebay.
In saying 'that' coils are often the last thing to fail.
Are you're points contacting if you connect an ohm meter on lowest scale.
Should see a definite minor ohms change from zero to guessing an ohm or two.
Only a very small flywheel movement needed back & forth 'very slowly' over 'just open' & 'just closed' to get a reading.
Just a warning, if you go mag black direct to the coil just have an escape route if the throttle might be stuck open.
Have a way of stopping it as the main switch won't be working.
You will be doing this to bypass any loom or switch issues & proving a point.
If it still doesn't spark then problem is either in the mag or the plug coil.
Last edit: 01 Jan 2024 01:22 by RT325.
01 Jan 2024 01:20 #37

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart