facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

What year is my DT1?

• LuckyLuke
  • LuckyLuke's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

What year is my DT1? was created by LuckyLuke

Hey Guys.

I may have reached out for help on this before and it has to do with what exactly is the year of my DT1.  It's is a candy orange colour with black pinstripe.  It was sold in Canada.  It has the gas tank bracket.   I am trying to get it registered and need a safety inspection first because of its age and has not been registered for more than 25 years.  The mechanic doing the inspection is saying it came with signal lights.  The provincial regulations say if the bike was manufacturered before Jan 1 1971 signal lights are not required.   I have no way to confirm it's year of manufacture.  The reference library is not absolute as they are refer only to US models and 68's US models were white in colour.  I am being told if I can't prove it is a pre 71 vintage I will need to have signal lights added b4 I can register it for the road.   Only in Canada can this happen! 

Anyone out there that might be able to help me with material that can help prove what year my bike is and that definitively it is pre 71?   I don't want to add signals.  
17 Apr 2021 21:10 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by mdscott on topic What year is my DT1?

Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'03 ST1300
'75 Norton
'73 CB500K
'81 Honda CT110
'87 PW50
'64 McClane Edger
'02 Honda XR70R
Last edit: 17 Apr 2021 21:16 by mdscott.
17 Apr 2021 21:15 #2

Replied by MarkT on topic What year is my DT1?

Only the 1968 US DT1 models were white.  Oceania and Japan had different colors plus bikes are often repainted so color means nothing.  And you might very well have a Japanese Domestic Model or something?

Which is what you've given us...  nothing...  no VIN...  no pictures...  nothing.  While most VIN lists are based on US models, they are still useful unless someone has re-stamped your bike or altered the original VIN number by adding digits or something.  (it happens). 

What I would do is contact DEET and ask him to make you a new headstock decal.  He has made enough of them and has done enough research that he can likely narrow it down to the month and year it was produced.  If you have the 68 under-tank mounting bracket (versus the puck mounts) it's almost certainly a 1968 as that design was phased out in 1968 at about VIN 13000. 
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Mothersbaugh
17 Apr 2021 21:55 #3

• LuckyLuke
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by LuckyLuke on topic What year is my DT1?

Thanks for the replies....somewhat helpful.  Here is a pic of my bike were you can see the tank bracket.  I have done the restoration myself as a Covid sanity keeper.  I am very confident the bike has not been previous restored.  It was from an estate sale and I was not able get the history for it. 

Serial number on the frame matches that on the motor.  First 5 digits for purposes of this discussion are.....

DT1-05---

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Badger52
18 Apr 2021 05:05 #4

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by MarkT on topic What year is my DT1?

Again, reach out to DEET would be your best bet.  He may be able to provide a steering head decal with an accurate manufacture date if you provide him with the information he needs.

If you want to try to prove it otherwise, I'd download the "71 DT1E 250 Man" in the Tech Library.

At the back of that service manual are Service Bulletins where Yamaha details some of the details of changes made on the early models by serial number.  Two major ones are the tank mount and the two-bolt ignition side cover. 

There are also Yamaha Service Bulletins that list Serial number ranges by Model Year.  The ones I've seen show the US colors but there is other info on this site that shows other countries had the gold tank in 68...  I think someone from Australia posted brochures at one time..

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
18 Apr 2021 07:21 #5

This message has an attachment image.

Replied by Enduronut on topic What year is my DT1?

Here's some more information you may find useful . . .

~ The Canadian models came in either Gold or White (American models were only available in White)
~ Your serial number falls within the 1st half of 1968 DT1's that were produced.
~ The dated Vin stickers (Mark T has been referring to) were not required, produced, or available back in 68, but you might pull a fast one on a uninformed inspector by installing one . . . add one at your own risk, because it might backfire on you.

Below are some photos of a 68 DT1 and a 69 DT1B for comparison sake
Note:  Blinkers were not available on any 68 DT1 model outside of Japan, where they were optional.

1st picture shows the back side of a 1968 Australian DT1 brochure, ... (note the absence of blinker mounts)

2nd picture is of a 68 Swedish DT1 brochure

3rd photo is from a 68 Japanese brochure, showing slight differences, such as longer seat, but again, (no frame bracket to mount blinkers)

4th photo is a 69 DT1B (with white tank pinstripe), which shows that a flasher mounting bracket has been added, but that flashers were a "optional accessory" and did not come as a standard feature (see 5th and last photo below)

Control your thoughts . . . or your thoughts will control you!.!
Don't aim . . . and you'll hit your target every time!
A wise man knows . . . he isn't!
Failure squared . . . equals success!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Devin, Rick C., MarkT, t-bone, Bigdog302, swm, Swoop56, Badger52, Gr8uncleal, Andy L, Top Jimmy
Last edit: 18 Apr 2021 11:32 by Enduronut.
18 Apr 2021 09:37 #6

This message has attachments images.

• LuckyLuke
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Hi Enduronut,

This is great information and thank you very much.

One other challenge I feel I am up against is the blockage from the inspection mechanic who never even acknowledged the bike's condition or my work albeit not perfect for a bike that is more than 50+ years old.  It's like I don't know anything.  In one way I understand it as I am a weekend "bean counter" hobby mechanic; however, always amazed at how patient and kind the folks on this website are at helping me without any compensation, yet I am paying this guy for his work and he is so condescending.   I am sure many of the members on this sight are qualified mechanics yet there is something unique and comforting as to how information and learning is shared here. 

Love the brochure you have and if there is any chance that you'd be so kind as to duplicate it for me I'd would be more than willing to compensate you for your trouble.  I owe this bike and the kind gentlemen on this site like yourself who helped me figure many things out along the way, for helping keep my sanity during Covid.   Even though I know given better equipment both physically and mentally I could have restore this bike much more elegantly I am proud of how it turn out and now I just want to ride it a bit and pretend I am 16 years old again for as long as I can.   My hope is that maybe someday some else will also enjoy it just like I did.  

Cheers and thanks again. 

Luke 

18 Apr 2021 13:46 #7

Replied by 1971DT250 on topic What year is my DT1?

What information does the inspector have that this bike had turn signals? Can you go to another location for inspection? I've experienced difficulty sometimes from the motor vehicle bureau. When a clerk is wrong they don't like to be told or shown that they are wrong. I've had to go to another location on occasion. Most of the public servants and police I encounter are impressed with these old Enduros and are willing to help.
The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Enduronut
18 Apr 2021 16:16 #8

• LuckyLuke
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Hey thanks.   

Ya this is my first go at something like this and I may just pull the plug on this guy.   This is Canada and I sometimes wonder if we have too much red tape at the expense of a over reaching what really needed.  I am sending him some info on why I believe it is a 68.  I will see his response and then decide what I'll do next.  One way or another I am going to ride that thing down the road somewhere. 

Take care and appreciate the feedback. 

L. 
18 Apr 2021 16:50 #9

Replied by Swoop56 on topic What year is my DT1?

I had a similar issue with indicators when regisiering my US import DT1 B ,
here in New Zealand . Despite me turning up with a copy of the sales brochure ,
which showed the bike without indicators , the inspector went online ,
and saw a lot of DT1's ( restored ) complete with indicators .
Your man may be doing something similar .
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Enduronut, Rick C.
18 Apr 2021 17:29 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart