facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Is this DT2 repair quote fair?

• BubbaSendsIt
  • BubbaSendsIt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by BubbaSendsIt on topic Is this DT2 repair quote fair?

Wow very good to know. So far this is the single most important piece of info I have gotten to help me decide about bringing more work to this guy or not. That is the whole reason for this post. He told me not to worry about it and clearly that is dangerously poor advice if what you are saying is correct. I specifically asked him if a front brake shoe failure just means no braking power or if it seizes the wheel, and he told me no braking. So thanks that basically tells me what I need to know.
1972 Yamaha DT2 250
2022 Yamaha XT 250
1965 Ducati Monza 250 (legacy project not running yet)
1966 Ducati Monza 250 (legacy project not running yet)
250 singles are my jam!
22 Nov 2020 11:02 #21

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BubbaSendsIt
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Why do you have a problem exactly? I don't think I understand. I already know the rate is good and what they charge at the others options around me. If the pricing was flat rate I doubt I would have questioned the total amount. I am specifically asking about hours to do work, that is what shocked me. Still unsure how the rate plays into calculating hours for a job.

I appreciate your list of things to do to make the bike trail worthy. Some of what you listed was done some not. I saved the list. I still have the original Dunlaps hard as a rock but otherwise not bad looking. I know I should replace those and the tubes pretty soon. I don't know what rim straps are?

Thanks again and sorry about your problem!
1972 Yamaha DT2 250
2022 Yamaha XT 250
250 singles are my jam!
22 Nov 2020 11:15 #22

Replied by Makotosun on topic Is this DT2 repair quote fair?

Given the facts we have, it’s really difficult to make much of a call. First, you are quite lucky to have found anyone to do the work on your bike at any price. Several folks on the forum do that type of wor, and my guess is they are shaking their heads.

I’ve rebuilt a dozen or more of these since 2004 when I got back into old Yamaha’s. I also found an old school mechanic to do things I didn’t want to. He uses the old shop time estimates when giving me a ballpark quote, but we both know it could be more, or even less (he’s a super decent guy) depending what he finds when he fits into it. Often due to age and wear, there is a lot more to address than estimated.

These are not complex bikes. We have manuals for most models that can guide you. We also have a lot of expertise on the site to get you pst inevitable roadblocks. But it is a time intensive hobby. Know that up front. As your kiddo grows, get them an old mini to work along side you on. It sounds like you would both be able to learn together.

You can either spend time, and some money, or less tome and more money. To restore takes a wheelbarrow of money either way. To make a decent trail bike takes less. Other than the advice on the front brake shoes, he sounds like he did you pretty well. Lots of folks are unaware of the danger of an old, delaminates, from brake pad . . .
IF it isn't one thing, it's another.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT360Fan, 1971DT250, Pete-RT1, BubbaSendsIt
22 Nov 2020 12:16 #23

• BubbaSendsIt
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Thanks Makotosun, I really appreciate your opinions. I am glad to hear you think it was fair. I am absolutely going to start tackling some stuff, like the front brake shoes, myself. And I can't wait to get my son into it. I saw an old 80cc Honda the other day and the owner said his grandson was riding it with training wheels before 3 years old.

I am sensitive to being a newcomer and outsider here and that there are probably lots of unspoken rules and etiquette protocols of which I am oblivious. So can you tell me why mechanics would be shaking their heads? So I can avoid making the same mistake it in the future.

Thanks!
1972 Yamaha DT2 250
2022 Yamaha XT 250
250 singles are my jam!
22 Nov 2020 13:26 #24

Replied by RT360Fan on topic Is this DT2 repair quote fair?

Rim Strips...

Some use duct tape instead.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: BubbaSendsIt
22 Nov 2020 14:40 #25

Replied by Makotosun on topic Is this DT2 repair quote fair?

Which mechanism are shaking their heads? There are no dumb questions here, unless you ask, don’t listen, then come back and ask why your plan didn’t work . . .

For a good story on getting my son invoved in the hobby, go to this link.

www.planetminis.com/threads/building-a-m...n.93366/#post-986665

It’s the story of me building his first bike.
IF it isn't one thing, it's another.
Last edit: 22 Nov 2020 14:43 by Makotosun.
22 Nov 2020 14:43 #26

Replied by MarkT on topic Is this DT2 repair quote fair?

I was shaking my head "yes" at the comment of how difficult it can be to find a shop that will work on these bikes... plus has some idea of what they are doing.

:Buds
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
22 Nov 2020 16:11 #27

Replied by RT325 on topic Is this DT2 repair quote fair?

Around our small city with 4 or 5 shops, one for each franchise, there'd be little chance you'd get past the door if you arrived with a DT2 or anything older than the mechanics working there. [just life i suppose]. Had a chinese scooter in the weekend that no-one would look at so reluctantly let it off the trailer & could see an external off/on fuel tap [petcock] was added outside the body but hooked to the vacuum petcock outlet. Vacuum tab dribbled slowly probably due to non sealing Oring on the vacuum plunger thing. But they had cut off the vacuum line back at the carb & folded it over, so never had a chance except if you waited long enough the dribble filled the carb for another 100 yards. I tested the tap with a syringe to open the vacuum & flowed fuel normal, so just found some small hose to reconnect it & happy camper he was. External tap can be shut off to override things if there's a carb fault. Guy had got it from a deceased estate & been parked for 8 years. Had Vespa Piaggio on it but looked chinese under the covers. Bit worried now i'll see scooters lining up at the gate haha.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
22 Nov 2020 16:48 #28

Replied by DEET on topic Is this DT2 repair quote fair?

I might work 2 days restoring an oil pump.

$2 to $3 an hour for labor.

I'm stupid to keep doing this. (My Little Fauss gene won't let me stop)
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Where the Yamaha Enduro is still a current model...
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Makotosun, Rick C., MarkT, t-bone, littlemilo, RT325
22 Nov 2020 19:20 #29

Replied by asco on topic Is this DT2 repair quote fair?

I refreshed 2 enduro tail lights, one for my DT3 one to put on eBay since the bike came to me with the wrong tail light. I was surprised how long it took to do two dissembles, sand, paint and clear, & to reassemble both. I'm thinking 2.5 hours total at $17.50 per after spending $59.00 on the correct one and freshen both up. The wrong tail light should net $35.00 after fees. 4 cans of spray paint was $17.50...

We love it, so we continue..
YAMA-LAND RESTORATION,
( 818 ) 521-2109
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
1971 CT1-C (BRANDY)
1970 DT1-C (MONICA)
1972 AT2M (ZIFFLE)
1970 CT1-B (HULK)
1971 DT1E (GINA)
1970 CT1-B (CLIDE)
Last edit: 22 Nov 2020 19:45 by asco.
22 Nov 2020 19:44 #30

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart