facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Is this DT2 repair quote fair?

Replied by MarkT on topic Is this DT2 repair quote fair?

At $35/hr, I agree, while hours might seem "excessive" the total cost doesn't.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: BubbaSendsIt
21 Nov 2020 19:09 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT360Fan on topic Is this DT2 repair quote fair?

Heck, I've spent a good part of an hour struggling with a countershaft sprocket nut.

Also, I don't even want to add up the hours I've spent doing parts research, tracking down something NLA.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2020 19:24 by RT360Fan.
21 Nov 2020 19:22 #12

• BubbaSendsIt
  • BubbaSendsIt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by BubbaSendsIt on topic Is this DT2 repair quote fair?

Thanks! Like what? I only wanted to do only the bare minimum to get me trail worthy.
1972 Yamaha DT2 250
2022 Yamaha XT 250
1965 Ducati Monza 250 (legacy project not running yet)
1966 Ducati Monza 250 (legacy project not running yet)
250 singles are my jam!
22 Nov 2020 05:38 #13

• BubbaSendsIt
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

I am getting some mixed messages. This is why I withheld the shop rate in the original post. I wanted to focus on the 14 hour claim. I am breaking into this hobby and I have very limited mechanical experience. It is super valuable for me to know if this stuff really takes this long. In part to know if my mechanic is honest. But also it is super helpful to know what I am up against. If it really took him 14 hours with an organized custom shop and invaluable years of experience, it is safe to say it would have taken me 3x longer at least. That is a crazy amount of time that I don't have now unfortunately.

I also have a legacy restoration project in the garage that are complete overhauls. 2 1965 Ducati Monza's my dad left me. I was hoping if things went smooth on the Yamaha restore I would put him on the Ducati's next. That is why I feel it is important to get to the bottom of the hour situation. Is it unusual for a customer to expect an accurate hour count? I am sensing people think I should ignore the inflated hours because the rate is good. But I am worried if someone is dishonest about one thing they will be hard to trust on a big project like my Ducatis. The Ducatis, unlike the Yamaha, have considerable sentimental value to me. I can't bring them to anyone I don't fully trust.
1972 Yamaha DT2 250
2022 Yamaha XT 250
250 singles are my jam!
22 Nov 2020 05:48 #14

Looking at the list of the work performed, I don't see anything out of the ordinary or 'extra'. Matter of fact I'd have added checking and replacing the front brake shoes as well as the 50 y.o. fish fork oil. Hard to believe that the original fork seals at that age and mileage wouldn't need be replaced. Possibly the front wheel bearings. No mention of the trans oil on the list either. Nothing listed regarding pulling the flywheel/inspection of the points/ignition system. Inspection of the spokes? Pretty basic stuff to do/inspect before sending it out to ride, IMO. My thought is, maybe he did more inspections that added hours but didn't list them?
The following user(s) Liked this Post: nhsteve
Last edit: 22 Nov 2020 07:47 by RT360Fan.
22 Nov 2020 07:17 #15

• BubbaSendsIt
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Thanks for mentioning the front brake shoes and fork oil. We had a misunderstanding about the front brake shoes. I gave him two OEM sets to do front and back. But on pickup one set was still unopened in my return parts crate. He said we never discussed the front wheel. Adding that if it did fail I would still have rear brakes so I shouldn't consider that a priority on my remaining to-do list. We never talked about fork oil so I will look into that. The front wheel bearing wasn't listed on the diagnostic and unlike the rear before replacement it has almost no give or wobble.

I did the transmission oil replacement myself before I started it for the first time. I was happy to see drain out pure and clean. I then filled it with the good stuff. I was glad you said everything seemed necessary, I thought so too. You are right that the quote includes diagnostic time. The carb was not inspected however.
1972 Yamaha DT2 250
2022 Yamaha XT 250
250 singles are my jam!
22 Nov 2020 07:46 #16

Front brake shoe failure is potentially very dangerous. Rear brake shoe failure is bad, front brake shoe failure can be worse. Old brake shoes can and do (many posts about it on this forum) delaminate from their backing plates. This can lock the front wheel with possibly bad results for the rider. If it were me, I'd be replacing those front shoes ASAP.
Last edit: 22 Nov 2020 09:11 by RT360Fan.
22 Nov 2020 07:55 #17

Replied by asco on topic Is this DT2 repair quote fair?

Every mechanic has to analyze priorities of what needs to be done. Unfortunately, with your limited knowledge you were not able to do so. Without getting into specifics because it's too time-consuming you're either happy with the job or you're not. The hours are irrelevant. The dollar amount for a running bike is Paramont. Trail worthy is an ambiguous statement.
YAMA-LAND RESTORATION,
( 818 ) 521-2109
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
1971 CT1-C (BRANDY)
1970 DT1-C (MONICA)
1972 AT2M (ZIFFLE)
1970 CT1-B (HULK)
1971 DT1E (GINA)
1970 CT1-B (CLIDE)
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C., RT360Fan
Last edit: 22 Nov 2020 08:34 by asco.
22 Nov 2020 08:33 #18

Replied by Eazy-X on topic Is this DT2 repair quote fair?

Here in the UK a "proper" mechanic (i.e. has a factory unit, tools, lifts, etc.) will cost you north of $60 per hour edging toward $80 so it sounds like your man is doing half price from home. The hours though sound like how long I would take :)

However, I mentioned my DT175 to the local wrenchers whilst getting an MoT (engineering check) on another bike and, as professionals, they wouldn't touch it with a barge pole! They know full well that vintage stuff is a time sink and they just CBA to get into arguments about hours worked. They'd do something specific, for example I got them to fit the tyres after my own cack-handed efforts punctured the inner, but not "restore this pls" so count yourself lucky you got someone to even consider the work.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT360Fan, BubbaSendsIt
22 Nov 2020 09:03 #19

Replied by asco on topic Is this DT2 repair quote fair?

You have already had several feedback from the elders on the site.
I have a problem with the statement that you "specifically withheld information about the shop rate as to everybody concentrating on the hours instead."

There are no pictures of the motorcycle. More withheld information. ?????

With that being said; crank seals, pressure test, carburetor overhaul, decarbonizing the head, checking for blow by on the piston, scored cylinder walls, a previous lean condition, fork oil change, remove the stater cover, inspecting for old moisture. Miscellaneous frozen nuts and bolts. Removing the baffle cleaning, checking the exhaust for oil dripping from the gravity feed oil injection system into the pipe. I didn't see the sprockets so I don't know what condition they were in? You made no mention of that. This is just a small compile of things that would need to be done to make a bike "trail worthy" in addition to new tires tubes and rims straps.
YAMA-LAND RESTORATION,
( 818 ) 521-2109
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
1971 CT1-C (BRANDY)
1970 DT1-C (MONICA)
1972 AT2M (ZIFFLE)
1970 CT1-B (HULK)
1971 DT1E (GINA)
1970 CT1-B (CLIDE)
22 Nov 2020 09:39 #20

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart