facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Rt2 problems stumped

• Darreng
  • Darreng's Avatar Topic Author

Rt2 problems stumped was created by Darreng

Hi all got old Yamaha rt2 this thing is real pain. First got cylinder bored out new top
end then it wouldn't run. Key way was shared off replaced bike started but won't rev up.
Did leak down test it was good been through carb many times. Bike runs a little better with choke on. Please help thank in advance
02 Apr 2020 16:42 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by darinm on topic Rt2 problems stumped

Have you checked for the exhaust being plugged?
1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
2000 Suzuki RM100
2003 BMW F650GS
2009 Yamaha WR250R
2013 Yamaha XT250
02 Apr 2020 18:06 #2

Replied by Enduro nut on topic Rt2 problems stumped

unhook the fuel line from the carburetor or petcock and turn the petcock to on and RES to make sure enough fuel is coming out. It should be flying out. Also check to make sure your flywheel is tight and your in time as well i just had my flywheel come loose on my DT250 because i forgot to snug the thing up so it would idle great but not rev up hardly at all!
02 Apr 2020 18:08 #3

• Darreng

Replied by Darreng on topic Rt2 problems stumped

I have done both of your suggestions already ..lots of gas coming out the new petcock and the flywheel is tight
02 Apr 2020 18:12 #4

hhmmmm its possible your decompression release is stuck open those tend to get gummed up have you checked that yet?
02 Apr 2020 18:16 #5

• Darreng

No that's something I never thought of I'll try that tomorrow. If the exhaust were plugged why would bike run better with choke on?
02 Apr 2020 18:26 #6

If that dont work out it might be the air mixture screw setting or the needle height setting. I have an RT3 that's giving me all sorts of problems that im gonna have to take to someone or start a thread on. Arent those things fun to kick over! the kick back is VICIOUS to say the least i had an x-ray done back in July because i thought i broke my ankle from it kicking me back! i couldn't walk on it for nearly a week.
02 Apr 2020 18:34 #7

Replied by RT325 on topic Rt2 problems stumped

Yes my first thought is exhaust too, but only reason the choke would help is if the choke jet in the bowl cavity was blocked so opening the choke just ads air leaning it off a bit--but that stretching the imagination a little so probably not that. Carb small Oring is important as drowns it but wouldn't improve with choke. Need an audio of it really please. So far as exhaust goes there's a restrictive swirly thing deep in the tail bit--can see it looking in unless it's been removed, in which case it'd be rowdy [noisy] 'as'. If it was 'that' restricted you could [to prove a point] reduce the main jet by heaps just for a stationary rev, but maybe only something i'd do lol. Decompressor won't affect it revving out even if you held it open & will just take the sharp edge of the exhaust note. Some motors have them open all the time, think one year of RD400 & our AG175's about "76. Anyway--!!.
03 Apr 2020 05:55 #8

Replied by RT325 on topic Rt2 problems stumped

They love shearing keys of which you've found, but make sure it hasn't done it again. Gotta be super tight & held solid to get a solid feel on the socket. There's a pic of mine somewhere on here with the holding tool resting on the footrest & engaged in the slots so nothing moves at all. I'll admit i overtighten mine but the crank is damaged from someone else's undertightening.
03 Apr 2020 06:01 #9

• Darreng

I did leak down test yesterday it held 8psi for 5minutes no problem. Then started back up it revs up on it's own with no choke
03 Apr 2020 06:30 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart