facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

DT 125 B Starter Dynamo

Replied by 2fishkev on topic DT 125 B Starter Dynamo

Is the new brush’s pig tail insulated or bare? Or is one of the other pig tails touching the housing? My two thoughts, any way....
The following user(s) Liked this Post: StukaGruppen13
11 Apr 2019 12:56 #21

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mandarrin@hotmail.com

Replied by Mandarrin@hotmail.com on topic DT 125 B Starter Dynamo

Hello, Im new to the forum and been finding a lot of information here. Thank you. I have the same bike and have been able to kick started. Are the brushes only for electric start? As i mentioned I have been able to kick start it and it runs but then it takes for ever to start it again. I checked the brushes amd they are worn off one of them is missing the springs also.

It is also missing the timing plate and timing plate fixture. And when looking at your wires in the dynamo, it looks like some of my wires might be cross. Any help will be greatly appreciated.i will poat pics as soon as i can
21 Sep 2020 18:04 #22

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by RT325 on topic DT 125 B Starter Dynamo

Brushes are for starting & charging so kick starting you'd get a reasonable ride close to home with a fully charged battery & no charging happening. Looks like you have a bit to sort out there!!.
21 Sep 2020 20:32 #23

• Mandarrin@hotmail.com

Thanks for your answer, this helps, even though it wasnt the answer I was hoping for lol

Anyone can tell me if the wiring look good? I have seen different versions of it. I am getting spark.

Also the dynamo is missing the timing fixture and timing plate but was able to set the timing and even turn it on, it ran good for a bit. Thanks in advance for your help. This forum has been awesome.
22 Sep 2020 03:55 #24

Replied by 2fishkev on topic DT 125 B Starter Dynamo

This is what you should have. Go to the tech library and look for a 125 parts list up to 76. Pretty much the same bike up to that point electrically. You’re missing a few part there, but you should be able to piece it back together. Peppy little suckers once you get it going. The 125s are a bit unique compared to the other bikes which are 6v systems. Due to being different, parts tend to be more available at a reasonable price. Good luck!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Mandarrin@hotmail.com
26 Sep 2020 10:30 #25

This message has an attachment image.

Replied by DaveHunter on topic DT 125 B Starter Dynamo

Hello Mandarrin , the color of the wires can help you to figure out where they connect. On the outside of your dynamo there should (hopefully) be some different colored rectangles.
The above picture shows how there is some variety throughout the years but the big pale green is from starter relay to start motor, orange is the ignition circuit (as mentioned above it’s totally independent of the starting and charging circuit) small dark green is a wire that the voltage regulator grounds to activate the charging circuit, and the white going to voltage regulator supply’s power generated it connects to both positive brushes and a wire from the starting coils.
Included a picture of my 1970 AT1 as the brushes were being replaced, two brushes are grounded to housing two connect to the white from voltage regulator.
The plate to set timing - if unable to purchase you could just bend up a piece of metal or stiff wire and attach so it came close to what they call the governor.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Mandarrin@hotmail.com
26 Sep 2020 16:44 #26

This message has attachments images.

• Mandarrin@hotmail.com

Thanks for all the help. I got new brushes and set it up like the pic you provided. It kick starts good but the electric start clicks or turns slow. Any ideas? Thanks.
27 Sep 2020 04:21 #27

Replied by DaveHunter on topic DT 125 B Starter Dynamo

If you put a meter on big pale green wire there should be close to 12 volts DC present when cranking, if voltage way low put meter directly on battery while cranking. If difference between the two locations is large then starter solenoid or wiring is suspect. Try removing spark plug it should spin over fast
The service manual in tech section shows how to test various parts of the dynamo / cleaning copper sections brushes contact, cleaning mica slots etc.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, 2fishkev, Mandarrin@hotmail.com
27 Sep 2020 06:16 #28

• Mandarrin@hotmail.com

Will give this a try, thanks for all the help!
27 Sep 2020 18:27 #29

• Mandarrin@hotmail.com

I havent tried checking the solenoid, I have a carb issue now.

I ran it and it was fouling the plugs, since I bought this used i order a carb rebuild kit. Anyone know what the standard main jet size is. The manual says 100 for the 125c and 140 for the 125a,b. The one on there now does not have a mark indicating the size. so how do I know which one?

Thanks in advance
30 Sep 2020 07:45 #30

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart