facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

DT 125 B Starter Dynamo

• StukaGruppen13
  • StukaGruppen13's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

DT 125 B Starter Dynamo was created by StukaGruppen13

Hello, my DT 125 work in progress is getting closer and now all the electrical works! Except the starter. It is getting power, making a noise, but the engine is not turning. I have no experience with these things, and here is the current stage of my motor; the spark pug is not tightened in, nor does it have fuel in the motor. I know it will not start, but I just want it to turn. Does everything have to be plugged in first? And I was told that these electric starts will not turn the motor until you kickstart it a few times. Thanks for any help.
01 Apr 2019 06:37 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by 2fishkev on topic DT 125 B Starter Dynamo

Ok, I’ll answer your questions with more questions. How bout some pics? We like those and it helps spot things easier. My first redo was a 74 basket case and she fired the first time off the starter. She better have after six yrs and 2 manuals. If it’s just turning with the starter generator you want, then the 3 most important things are, battery( got to have well charged 12+v), are your brushes still serviceable? They have a wear line about half way up, so might need replacing. Tend to be expensive for what they are but, if ya want it, ya want. Got mine for $56 out of Taiwan. And is your armature serviceable? Really in my vast experience of two of these now, haha, a good manual from here or a hard copy(like those best and worth the money to me) is your biggest help. Thorough coverage for the system maintenance. I think if you go through those steps, you should have success. Hopefully your wiring harness is still serviceable also. Check your grounds too. If you can’t find Dt125a-c manual info, any of the At info is the same. Good luck.
Don’t forget to set the timing and clean or replace the points. They have a governor system that needs advanced to set the timing. One more vote for a manual. Hope I helped and did not insult your knowledge of your skills or bike. Just wanted to help as it is so valuable. Only took me a month to get spark to mine and it would’ve been a lot longer had a few gentlemen here not been able to un f*** my problem because of my pics. Good luck!
I would imagine the more knowledgeable and articulate members will be along later to help much more.
01 Apr 2019 07:24 #2

• StukaGruppen13
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by StukaGruppen13 on topic DT 125 B Starter Dynamo

Thank you very much for the reply. I will post up some pictures later tonight. One thing I should notify you is that this bike is restored, meaning complete engine re-freshening (timing and points are set perfectly and cleaned), new battery (charged) and I am going through the wiring loom, making sure everything is plugged in and works, which it is. Power was supplied directly to the dynamo as well. I also do have a manual opened up on a PDF, and you are right in saying that it is very helpful! Interestingly, one of those carbon brushes you mentioned was broken on my bike. I that very likely the culprit? And could you send the link for where you bought your brushes? Anyways, thanks very much for the information. Pictures here tonight!
01 Apr 2019 09:15 #3

Ok, good to know where you’re at, so to speak! I would bet the broken brush is your problem. I’ll try to find link on brushes for you. Also, around pg 81 it talks about checking commutator mica undercut. Cleaning and polishing commutator also. Would be benificial to review this if you haven’t already.
rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A...2Fitm%2F254049651296
There’s your link, hopefully!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: StukaGruppen13
Last edit: 01 Apr 2019 11:23 by 2fishkev. Reason: Add eBay link.
01 Apr 2019 11:18 #4

• StukaGruppen13
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=181211517669&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic DT 125 B Starter Dynamo

Yes. You need four. Search on here, and there will be a good thread on installation...how to hold the 4 brushes and springs in place while maneuvering the armature in place...with just two hands.
01 Apr 2019 16:33 #6

• StukaGruppen13
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Here is my dynamo
02 Apr 2019 12:35 #7

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

From the looks of the outside, it seems to be plenty serviceable. I think that this system is pretty bulletproof, especially when things are brought up to spec maintenance wise. Have you had a look the armature behind? Removing that and undercutting the mica and then a polish of the contact surfaces to remove any brush grooves would be good. Don’t have a pic of it, but will try to get one tomorrow.
03 Apr 2019 11:53 #8

• StukaGruppen13
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Yes, we had it taken apart when we were getting into the motor and we cleaned and polished most of the surfaces. What is the mica?
04 Apr 2019 06:06 #9

The shop manual is found in the tech section. Pages 134-137 cover the info I’d like to link for you but I don’t know how. Basically the mica is the insulation between the copper(?) pieces on the small end and should be relieved back to specs for proper function. There’s good pics describing the process to clean things up. Easy once ya try it . The small end I’m describing is the area that the brushes ride on and through which electric current passes.
04 Apr 2019 10:21 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart