facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

74 dt125: First Attempt At A Restoration-resto mod.

• 2fishkev
  • 2fishkev's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I've been a member for about 2 years, mostly reading and researching. Ive been slowly restoring and gathering parts for reassembly. -And buying special tools. Every process has been a first for me motorcycle and restoration-wise. I'm relacing and truing rims now, which the reason for the first post.
Does anyone know the spoke wrench size needed? The smallest I have is 5.4 and it feels looser than I would like. Also what are the rim offsets?I didn't realize I needed to record that before I had to cut the rims apart.(corrosion) Those 2 bits of information have eluded me online and in 2 manuals. I would appreciate any help given. I could never have undertaken this pre-internets. :huh: Obligatory photo, better to follow.aa

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: James Hart
14 Jun 2016 09:20 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 2fishkev
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Success Today! Started 74 dt125a restoration 4 yrs ago with tear down and 2nd over piston/reborn/rings. Sand blasting, sanding, filing, powder coating, painting later with many small parts left to do in near future.
Today I refitted inlet fitting into spark plug whole instead of center of block off plate, yamabonded every thing and held 5.75 psi for 15 min. and 7 in. vacuum for 2 min. Thank you to everyone who's shared their knowledge, especially the expertly documented restorations and work by the senior Enduroholics.

29 Jul 2016 16:34 #2

This message has attachments images.

• 2fishkev
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Wow. Sorry GFrench for reposting your pic. Must have saved it for reference to build my leak down tester. The spotless frame and seat cover along with the bench was the give away. My apologies once again.
29 Jul 2016 16:42 #3

Glad you clarified that, I saw that 2nd to last pic and thought, what the hell he gained 235cc's and became a piston port. That would have been quite a trick B)
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right"
- Henry Ford
Or in the words of Yoda... "Do or do not. There is no try"

"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet"
- Abraham Lincoln
29 Jul 2016 16:56 #4

• 2fishkev
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
My forum-fu parallels my rebuild skills. Ha ha. Today it was engine tests and direct posting from iPad for first time. All in all it came out well. Order tire spoons and next week I got my first roller!
29 Jul 2016 18:01 #5

Look great! I like the caribou on the shop wall as well. My wife threatened to make me put all my mounts on in the garage, so I bought 80 acres and built a cabin for all my mounts... she's not invited to come up to the cabin Yay2 It keeps us both happy.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right"
- Henry Ford
Or in the words of Yoda... "Do or do not. There is no try"

"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet"
- Abraham Lincoln
29 Jul 2016 19:17 #6

• 2fishkev
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I got a 10 ft ceiling instead of 8 ft for that reason and canoe/kayaks. My wife tolerated it until the day I got the inside finished and heated. Might have to work the 80 acre/cabin angle some day though....... :whistle:
29 Jul 2016 19:37 #7

• 2fishkev
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Today I installed the engine in her frame after cleaning tabs down to bare metal. After looking at the manual and two searches here, I'm still wondering what other spots on the framework, etc, are grounding points? Handle bars, brake switch bracket, indicator light brackets? Any info would be appreciated and save a lot of time and frustration in first restoration. Thanks.
12 Sep 2016 15:15 #8

This message has an attachment image.

• 2fishkev
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
It's been a while since I've posted and a while since I've gotten anything done , but I'm finally getting somewhere. Got the motor in the frame and fenders on. The front one is off a 70 or 71 Ct 175. Alloy(?) with rivets. When I test-fitted the front fender, I didn't like the way it was cocked up in front. Yesterday while final fitting it, I noticed the rear bracket was tweaked. "Hmmm, maybe a bend down here and a bend up here, see what that does". It's just about perfect now. It's surprising how parts get so tweaked in 40 years. The fun is unraveling the many mysteries and assembling a bike that looks straight. Hopefully.
14 Sep 2017 02:55 #9

• 2fishkev
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Here’s a minor update. In 4 months I’ve had gauges, wiring harness, and oil pump remanufactured by DEET and installed. Thanks again DEET. I finally completed the plating of all fasteners and installed all components that have been waiting patiently. Got outer cases wet sanded, polished, and waxed. Glad that’s done! Set timing and installed the cases tonight. Once I finish odds and ends up, I’ll be able to do the final assembly. I’ll use some extra ‘75 tanks for the first startup. It’s been apart 6 years now, so will have a variety of questions. I do have the shop manual, Clymer, and parts list but not every assembly question can be tracked down. I also have a parts bike and another parts bike to make the first parts bike whole, but they’re missing or apart just enough to not be any help most times. Ha ha!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325
01 Mar 2018 18:06 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart