facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1976 DT125 Charging woes .. Im lost .. HELP!?!

I got a set from the UK haven’t installed them yet I’m watching this to see the outcome if I have any issues with mine fingers crossed for both of us MarkT to the rescue!!
19 Jun 2023 07:46 #31

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Luke4554
  • Luke4554's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Luke4554 on topic 1976 DT125 Charging woes .. Im lost .. HELP!?!

After a little research it DOES appear the brushes I got from the starter shop are indeed carbon brushes. I’m going to take them out one at a time maybe tomorrow and file a crescent into the ends of them with a half round file to ensure they’re making contact enough with the commutator when the spring pressure is holding them down.
​​​​​​…
If anyone is in a pinch and willing to do a little a little filing for fitment the part number of these brushes is #38-8107 and from what I understand they’re found in Hitachi alternators in several foreign cars. They’re around $1-2 each.  I had to file them down slightly til they slid in and out with ease but that wasn’t any work at all. Other than that I just robbed the old insulation off the old beat down brushes by sliding it off and then on to the new ones then simply crimped on a 90 degree terminal.
Although to this point, the brushes alone, haven’t fixed my problem. I’m confident that they are more than acceptable replacements and if someone was in a pinch, they are easily found online and locally and could get you out of a jam even if it were just temporary until your overseas brushes arrive.
​​​​​​..

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

I’ll see if filing the ends helps any for my particular problem but I have a feeling my issues are going to require replacement generator parts at this point .
Luke
Last edit: 19 Jun 2023 17:36 by Luke4554.
19 Jun 2023 17:33 #32

Those system generaly just get into it & charge plus starter spins no problem with a good battery, they don't muck around.
I hope i'm wrong but seriously think it's more of an issue than that.
Full of joy aren't i.
19 Jun 2023 18:17 #33

Hey Luke if you get it figured out let me know in case I run into any problems 
21 Jun 2023 15:46 #34

• Luke4554
  • Luke4554's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Luke4554 on topic 1976 DT125 Charging woes .. Im lost .. HELP!?!

Quick update. I was working with the bike a little bit today again after taking a little time off from it. I installed the new brushes that I had ordered about a month ago that finally came in and it doesn’t seem to have changed anything. So I started looking at the voltage regulator a little even though I don’t feel like I’m getting the proper voltage out of the dynamo system anyway. One thing of note, oh I tested the cut out relay by pushing it down until the contacts were made and it blew the 12 V fuse. I removed the relay from the bike and put it on the bench and sure enough when the cut out relay is closed the 12 V red lead coming off the relay is shorted to ground.  This doesn’t seem normal right? Or is it supposed to do that and just jump on and off as necessary during its normal operation? For what it’s worth, I did not hold down the tab on the relay it made contact held itself down until the fuse popped and then it let go.

Luke
09 Jul 2023 13:44 #35

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart