facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

DT125 clutch rod too short?

• CursingThomas
  • CursingThomas's Avatar Topic Author

DT125 clutch rod too short? was created by CursingThomas

Hi all,

Recently i bought this beautifull DT125, though I am running into a problem with the clutch. Please see the attachments for the pictures. 

Basically: the clutch rod which engages the clutch internally is too short/does not get pushed out far enough. I have tried screwing the screw on the left side of the crankcase, directly under the clutch arm. This causes it to move up and down, but not push the clutch rod  farther or less far. Which is a bit weird to me. End of the line this means the clutch never engages, and thus never can be used. 

Does anyone know what causes this? Or how to fix this? I am particularly stumped about the clutch arm only moving up and down. 

Please let me know what i can do. 
Thomas. 
30 Apr 2023 11:56 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Ht1kid on topic DT125 clutch rod too short?

Greetings from Tennessee. 

This image is hidden for guests.

What year? Also check out partzilla you may be missing the steel ball look under clutch on partzilla
30 Apr 2023 12:46 #2

• CursingThomas

Replied by CursingThomas on topic DT125 clutch rod too short?

Greetings back, hope the weather is nice :)
you would be referring to item number 24 in this particular drawing? I havent checked that to be honest. Id need to tip it over tomorrow to see if it has it in there, or look with a flashlight. Will keep you updated, thanks in advance. 

Last edit: 30 Apr 2023 12:56 by CursingThomas. Reason: Forgot to add pic, oops
30 Apr 2023 12:52 #3

This message has an attachment image.

Replied by Ht1kid on topic DT125 clutch rod too short?

You can look in the tech library for a service manual you can download it will show you how to adjust your clutch etc
30 Apr 2023 14:03 #4

Replied by MarkT on topic DT125 clutch rod too short?

Welcome!

Couple of things...  you've picked the right diagram so you may already know...  Most parts lists are for US models...  You have what looks like a 74-on DT125 without electric start.  Might be called a DT125F?  Not to be confused with the US 1979 DT125F that was a monoshock (aka "MX" many places outside the USA) model.  Your bike will be closer to a US model 74-75 or perhaps 1976 DT175.    There is a 1F9 parts manual in the tech library here that might be for your bike?

There's a "wedge" on the clutch actuator.  As shaft rotates, flat pushes pushrod.  Raising it all the way up is minimum freeplay.  You're likely missing the ball bearing like HT1kid already said which would make the total pushrod length too short.  It's not uncommon to roll out. 

This pic might help: 

Actuator is sideways in pic. You can see the "wedge" to the right on the picture which would be down inside the engine.  The flat on the wedge contacts the pushrod.  So raising it with the eccentric screw that engages the groove brings flat closer to pushrod reducing freeplay.  It only takes 1/2 turn on the adjustment screw to raise the shaft from all the way down (maximum play) to all the way up (minimum play)  Turning the screw more than that does nothing except jamming screw into shaft or disengaging eccentric pin from groove.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
Last edit: 30 Apr 2023 14:56 by MarkT.
30 Apr 2023 14:53 #5

This message has an attachment image.

Replied by RT325 on topic DT125 clutch rod too short?

Remove those pesky rubber rings while you're in there. They don't serve any useful purpose & only aid clutch slip if the plates are less than perfect.
30 Apr 2023 15:24 #6

• CursingThomas

Replied by CursingThomas on topic DT125 clutch rod too short?

Hi all, thanks for your help. I fixed the problem. Indeed like pointed out, it was the missing bearing ball inside the hole. Massive thanks to all! Sorry for my late reply, last few days were hectic.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid
04 May 2023 05:29 #7

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart