facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1975 DT175b - Neutral Switch Faulty?

• jweaver78
  • jweaver78's Avatar Topic Author

1975 DT175b - Neutral Switch Faulty? was created by jweaver78

Hi all,
Brand new owner of a '75 DT175b.  Picked up the bike, everything worked. Took it home for short ride and when I got back the neutral light stopped working.  First thing I checked was grounding the blue wire from switch onto the engine case, light came on, not a bulb or wire issue. Second thing I checked was taking out the switch with blue wire attached and touching/grounding the contact of the switch to the engine case, light came on.  Reinstalled everything but no neutral light. Yes, I'm sure it's in neutral.  Is there something in the gearing shaft that's missing the switch?  Very confusing as it was working fine before my test run.  Any help is greatly appreciated.
Justin
13 May 2021 12:45 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic 1975 DT175b - Neutral Switch Faulty?

Ok, you answered my first question. So second one is the button still springloaded in the switch--never seen a faulty one. Are the engine mount bolts all tight--pretty unlikely cause. Look down the hole for the button on the drum but can't see that escaping. Is there a thicker than normal washer under the switch, try it without a washer. Bit of a mystery. Neutral 'is' between first an second you know--Sorry, shut up 'me'. ps, think you said blue so that's a light blue? not the darker blue of mag lighting to instrument illuminating bulbs?. Anyway--was ok & then it wasn't. Tighten that vibrating engine. Think rear top is rubber mounted anyway but!!, rest are solid. Oh, & check loom earth likely at the coil mount under the tank.
13 May 2021 17:31 #2

• jweaver78
  • jweaver78's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by jweaver78 on topic 1975 DT175b - Neutral Switch Faulty?

Thanks for your reply.  I'm an idiot.  Apparently I wasn't in actual neutral.  I must have been in false neutral as I could push the bike around thinking I was in actual neutral but with no neutral light on.  Did some reading and realized I had to just do a light up tick on  shifter after getting it in 1st.  That put it in real neutral and light came on.  Relieved and embarrassed at the same time.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Swoop56
13 May 2021 19:42 #3

Replied by RT325 on topic 1975 DT175b - Neutral Switch Faulty?

Hey all good haha. I felt bad even half joking it might not be in neutral.
13 May 2021 20:40 #4

Replied by yamahahaha on topic 1975 DT175b - Neutral Switch Faulty?

Very easy thing to do especially if you are knew to riding. Heck I can remember as a kid on my first bike. Even after having the bike for a while I would have the bike in neutral and the light would not be on. All it would take is to hit the shifter a HAIR and the neutral light would come on
14 May 2021 04:59 #5

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart