facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

DT250A forks tweaked?

• DonFoote
  • DonFoote's Avatar Topic Author

DT250A forks tweaked? was created by DonFoote

Late last year I found a dirty running gold DT250A at L&L Cycle in Dallas ($700 no title). Bike shows less than 4000 miles but who knows, appears to have been buried there for years. I replaced the chain and sprockets and the rusty bent handlebars. After replacing the bars, the bars are not straight on the bike, is there a process to correct this? I don't want to think th the triple trees need replaced.

Next on on the list is to get a fabricator to affix a new kickstand bracket to the hole in the frame where my bracket used to be. Then install a battery and see if I can get blinkers and lights to work.

Bike is fun to ride but not tracking straight bugs me. Think I detect piston slap but don't want to address that yet. It smokers a lot, still on injection. Solution will be to switch to Benol oil since I love the way it smells. I just ride it in the neighborhood with an old 74 TX plate that was hanging on the wall one the garage. Will chase a title eventually. 
27 Apr 2021 16:21 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic DT250A forks tweaked?

If the forks are just twisted not bent, just slightly loosen the clamps enough to let them slip a bit & force it around past straight then bring it back to the middle--all that with wheel between your knees & holding the handlebars. If the triples are slightly bent & more than just twisted they'll straighten ok doing a big tweak past straight & then back. But might need to loosen the clamp bolts a little more. That's the easy way--first--well, what i do anyway. You could though--if you wanted more worry--revolve the forks individually using the cap nut to see if the tubes 'are' bent. But really need to support the bike neutrally so the front wheel is lightly touching the floor or the forks will move up until they run into the handlebars, unless they clear.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: nhsteve
27 Apr 2021 16:45 #2

Replied by Grussell on topic DT250A forks tweaked?

One other thing to check. Loosen the two nuts on the right lower fork that pinch the axle. Push the forks down several times and then retighten the two nuts. If the two nuts are tightened before the axle nut it can pull the right fork in a little bit.
1978 DT400
1975 DT250
1976 YZ125X - my post vintage race bike
2022 KTM 300XCW - my race bike

The following user(s) Liked this Post: nhsteve
09 May 2021 08:47 #3

• DonFoote
  • DonFoote's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by DonFoote on topic DT250A forks tweaked?

I was hoping that this was an option and I think it is 90% improved after three attempts to adjust with test drives. Thanks for the help.

Don in Dallas
05 Jun 2021 16:10 #4

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart