facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Seat pan

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic Seat pan

RickC: I'm curious. Did you think the solvent smells familiar? I think it's just BrakeKleen, myself. Volatile as all get out, and man-o-man, you gotta use it out in the open and stay the hell away from the stuff while mixing it. Remember chemistry class where the teach told you not to stick your nose right in the test tube and inhale deeply? Yeah. Teach's idea about holding the test tube away a little bit and waving your hand a couple of times to bring a little bit of vapor wafting your way really comes in handy, here.

One thing Lab Metal doesn't tell you: the stuff has a two-year shelf life. I'm done with mine, and it's good through July 17, 2021, I would assume, as there is a sticker with the number 071721 on the top of the can. Make me an offer if you want half a can of Lab Metal putty, and a can and a half of thinner/solvent. Check the website for what it costs, and remember that UPS-ing it will probably require a hazardous materials charge of some sort. Another option is to meet me at the Endurofest in Moab in the Fall; I was planning to go, and I can bring it along. But that's a whole 'nother "hazardous materials" sort of option, huh?
23 Jul 2020 18:15 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Rick C. on topic Seat pan

It's a mixture of Toluene and MEK. Nasty stuff.
Yes, Don't Breath it. Don't get it on you, and certainly don't rub it in yer armpits.

PDF download on Lab Metal info.

www.alvinproducts.com/Portals/0/Property...es/3/labmetalsds.pdf

Sorry to hijack the thread.
23 Jul 2020 20:14 #12

• EnduroDodd
  • EnduroDodd's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by EnduroDodd on topic Seat pan

I commend you and your efforts. That is a bit more than I'm willing to take on.
23 Jul 2020 21:23 #13

Replied by Rick C. on topic Seat pan

Can we see pictures?
23 Jul 2020 21:43 #14

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic Seat pan

RickC: see above for shots of the seat. If you are asking about the Lab Metal, about 60% of a can, and the solvent, roughly 40% gone. You know, until it stops slobbering all over itself when you try to pour it?
24 Jul 2020 12:39 #15

Replied by 50gary on topic Seat pan

I have a 1975 DT250 with the "lace" treatment to the metal. I used West system epoxy and microballoons mixed to peanut butter consistency. It worked well and it's strong. Mine was missing the lower edges (rusted away) so I had to welded new edging in place then to the ten thousand pinholes with the epoxy.
Cheers, 50gary
25 Jul 2020 11:02 #16

Replied by Shane86 on topic Seat pan

I used a good metal pan as a donor to vacuum form a plastic pan from 1/8 inch ABS. I bolted it instead of using the hinges as it is not quite as stiff as the metal pan. Worked awesome on my bike. Haven’t really thought about making any to sell though.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 2fishkev, KennyV, Wessi
25 Jul 2020 18:05 #17

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by Lizeec on topic Seat pan

There is what appears to be a decent one for a dt400c with minimal cracks on eBay (not mine) item #124279734338 with a buy it now of $45 with free shipping or $35 starting bid. I believe they are the same as the dt250a you can verify the part number on partzilla.
Last edit: 31 Jul 2020 18:41 by Lizeec.
31 Jul 2020 18:40 #18

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart