facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Substitute pistons for DT360

Replied by cullyklyde on topic Substitute pistons for DT360

I have sent a message, in hopes to find a set to get my MX360 going again! thanks!
29 Aug 2020 12:15 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• turbodan
  • turbodan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by turbodan on topic Substitute pistons for DT360

I don't see any messages but I see your post. My DT is currently running the Honda piston and cylinder base spacer. If you can make a 4mm thick aluminum plate in the same pattern as the base gasket you can do it.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Snglsmkr
29 Aug 2020 16:54 #12

Replied by akara1 on topic Substitute pistons for DT360

how well does it run without the windows in the piston?
I am considering adding boyesen ports to my cylinder as well
Last edit: 29 Aug 2020 23:48 by akara1.
29 Aug 2020 23:48 #13

Replied by RT325 on topic Substitute pistons for DT360

Thought i'd put this pic up of my 360 piston alongside a yz400f "79. Bit off the skit to be safe at bdc, although i forgot on the second one of mine i did & is still working. Could add a boost hole 'whatever ya call it' higher up on the skirt easily.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Snglsmkr
30 Aug 2020 03:31 #14

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• turbodan
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

I drilled three holes in the skirt, two smaller holes near the bottom in the same location as stock and one larger hole up much higher to feed the boost port at BDC which that stock piston does not do. Between that and the Boyesen ports I would say the difference is not substantial on a stock engine with the stock carb and stock pipe. There is a bit more kick between 4000 and 6000 RPM. With additional modifications they will be more beneficial.

I am planning on trying the FL350 piston in a stock cylinder with no Boyesen ports and no holes in the skirt. This will increase primary compression and possibly punch up the low end and midrange power. This motor seems awfully sleepy for a 351cc two stroke and I would like to figure out exactly what to attribute that to. Could be excessive crankcase volume.
30 Aug 2020 07:32 #15

Replied by MarkT on topic Substitute pistons for DT360

Due to some discussion in another thread, I want to mention that there is a difference between drilling holes in the lower skirt of a Forged Wiseco piston and a Cast Yamaha piston.

Forged is much stronger and almost impervious to cracking... You can hit a forged piston skirt with a sledgehammer and it will bend. Cast piston skirt hit with sledgehammer will shatter.

Most cast pistons with windows in the skirt have reinforcement cast in around the windows. Bottom line is that cutting holes in a solid skirt cast piston is risky... I know this from experience. :Ugh

I'm pretty sure Turbodan is using a Wiseco.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Enduronut, Snglsmkr
30 Aug 2020 08:08 #16

• turbodan
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

You are correct, this is a Wiseco. The only time I would drill a cast piston is in an application with an exhaust port bridge, and those are very small holes.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Snglsmkr
30 Aug 2020 13:16 #17

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart