facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1974 RD200 starts then dies after 3-4 seconds

Hi, I know this bike is not an Enduro, but I figured troubleshooting should be similar and I could really use some help. So the 74 RD200 is my brother's bike, we have been working on rebuilding it for a bit. Something is wrong with the starter switch, so we had to kickstart it to get it running. The bike will only run for about 3 to 4 seconds, then immediately die. If we give it throttle, it will keep running if the RPMs are up high enough, but then die once we release the throttle. We have cleaned and went through the carbs, we have set it back to factory settings and tried to adjust the mixture from there, but we still have the same result in the end. We checked the spark plugs too and they are getting good spark. Does anyone have any idea of what might be wrong? I am up for any suggestion from simple to odd ball fixes. Please let me know, thanks!
29 Jun 2020 06:22 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic 1974 RD200 starts then dies after 3-4 seconds

Fuel starvation?

How long do you have to wait before it will start (and then die) again?

I assume that it's doing it on both cylinders?
29 Jun 2020 08:11 #2

It usually takes another 5 or so kicks to get it started again. We have clear fuel lines on it, so I can see that the carbs are getting fuel at least. And yeah, both cylinders.
29 Jun 2020 09:34 #3

Cool bike. A couple years ago a friend gave me a 75 RD200 that was in pieces. I didn’t have the time or space to work on it, but I didn’t want it going to the scrap yard. I ended up giving it to another friend of mine who has several RD350s and 400s.

Two things I can think of are:
1. Ignition timing. You may have spark, but if it’s not occurring at the right time it won’t run right.
2. Worn out carburetors. I’ve had a couple of bikes that I just could not get to run right until I put a new carb on.
29 Jun 2020 16:29 #4

Replied by DaveHunter on topic 1974 RD200 starts then dies after 3-4 seconds

Hi Neebs !
Get your brother over there with a spray bottle with some gasoline in it. You get it fired up and when it starts to die he shoots some gas down the carbs. If he can keep it running with this method then focus attention on the carb and fuel supply. Hopefully this is done outdoors-fire extinguishers present- gas tank removed etc.
You asked for oddball. Great little motorcycles I’ve got one that’s similar
29 Jun 2020 16:50 #5

Replied by dirttrackstar on topic 1974 RD200 starts then dies after 3-4 seconds

I own an RD200DX the last of the wire wheel 200's and its an unreal bike - mine has 1700 original KM's on the clock. Its one of my daily riders when Im in New Zealand.
You are using up the fuel in the bowl then its stalling. So you have a fuel supply problem caused by any of the following:
1. tank cap vent is blocked
2. carb vents/hoses are blocked [these need to be open to balance the fuel level in the carb and to allow the engine to draw fuel]. Make sure the vent hose ends arent full of dirt or melted shut. This is a very common problem on these bikes.
3. Float level is wrong - thats only allowing fuel into the carbs when the engine is stopped, not when its operating.
4. Air filter is blocked.
5. Fuel tap is blocked or filter up in the tank on top of the fuel tap is blocked , this is also very common on these steel tanked older bikes that have been sitting for a while. Rust settles around the tap and it causes the exact symptoms you are experiencing.
Ill virtually guarantee its not electrical or such as electrical faults dont happen like that.
Hope this helps
Al
29 Jun 2020 18:08 #6

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Gr8auntiepat's RD200DX here in the UK.

It originally had wire wheels, but changed over to cast over 30 years ago.

30 Jun 2020 01:10 #7

Replied by Pete-RT1 on topic 1974 RD200 starts then dies after 3-4 seconds

Alan, you must be the fastest pizza delivery rider in Salisbury :haha
Yamaha CT1-B
Yamaha CT1-C
Yamaha AT1-C
Yamaha CT3
1978 Yamaha DT175MX
2020 Honda CB500X
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Gr8uncleal
30 Jun 2020 01:43 #8

Good old Belstaff topbox, been on there since 'er indoors got it. Used to carry the weekly shop in it before we could afford a car - US guys had Dodge Chargers, we had an Austin Allegro!!:EEEK :EEEK :EEEK :ROFLOL :ROFLOL :ROFLOL

Not ours (no photos exist of that!), but similar attached.

What is really disappointing is that the original design looked really cool (think VW Scirocco), but then they squashed it up so that it could take an existing engine.

Sorry, I really have gone off thread here!

30 Jun 2020 02:37 #9

As "dirttrackstar" says in post #6. Sounds like fuel supply not keeping up with whats required. Maybe drop both bowls & see if its flowing constantly to both with the flots hanging there. Check the flow at the tap first on both hoses. I had an RD200 motor in a PE250 frame for a while with high up chamber exhausts & all. Might have to remove the float valve to look behind them. Only thing that might stuff that theory is i think you said it runs on a high throttle until you let it go so starting to not sound like lack of fuel or wouldn't keep running at revs.
Ok--another thought--Are the throttle slides swapped into the opposite carb, because i think its possible on those like many other twins like RD350. If they're swapped around they run super rich & need a handful of throttle to keep running. What happens is the cutaway on the slide has to go forward "if in the wrong carb" for it to go up & down, so therefor it runs super rich.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
Last edit: 30 Jun 2020 03:35 by RT325.
30 Jun 2020 03:35 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart