facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1974 DT250 LED Headlight conversion.

Replied by bart.ives on topic 1974 DT250 LED Headlight conversion.

I am no electrician and so I went to my magic box and searched about relays. This is one comment I found about using AC relays in a DC circuit.
@d3kzh : 12V is a very low voltage and arcing is not that much of a problem. Normally, switches rated for 240Vac are also rated for 24VDC. Arcing does not pose a significant problem until your voltage goes over around 50V. I will try to find out a little more information on this issue.
Be Happy!
08 Oct 2019 13:55 #21

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Snglsmkr on topic 1974 DT250 LED Headlight conversion.

6volt a/c coils on relays exist but may take some shopping to find one that is compact and available.

Here's an example: Relay
08 Oct 2019 19:49 #22

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic 1974 DT250 LED Headlight conversion.

Yes, if you can find a relay that has an AC coil of the right voltage rating, it will work. One challenge is the AC can put out a lot of voltage without a headlight load so you'll have to figure that out or run a regulator to keep the voltage in check... too high a voltage can burn out the coil and too low might cause the relay to not close the points strong enough.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Snglsmkr
08 Oct 2019 22:54 #23

Replied by liferbiker on topic 1974 DT250 LED Headlight conversion.

A relay is for keeping higher currants away from small sensitive components or switches that would burn out running high amps through them. relays are closer to load where the amps are needed and switches either ground or power up the coil with small currant to close allowing hi amp load to pass without the need for huge everything. an example would be the starter on your vehicle, you see the size wire needed by starter, without a relay coil, (that round thing on your starter is basically a relay with a pull in ) wiring to ignition switch and switch itself would be huge to flow all the currant needed to crank 'er over. It is not for changing acv to dcv. Add another (or one with more ac switching potential) rectifier would be what is more in line with what your looking for, ac voltage to dcv! On a side note; Out of stock on the (10 watt!!) hi power lcd headlight w/no restocking date. Anybody find another source? It would fix issues I'm dealing with on my lighting coils! 10 watts w/all the lumins you'd need, thats less than a turn or brake light bulb uses. It looks like the daytime charging rate (a little higher than nite) would be enough to keep it happily recieving that dc it works better on. There is also a step up contraption (unknown reliability) that will give 12vdc from 6vdc. Didn't see a watt rating. I will look into it.
09 Oct 2019 01:09 #24

For the DTc3,found another 6v led headlight 18watt lo24hi. I am already using a honda type rectifier & will just add white charge wire to switch where g/r normally goes for nite charging so key #2 will only feed rectifier as the load of taillight,brake lite, inst lites, & 18 & 24 watt led headlight would be too much load for 6vdc charging system as it's now wired. (I am also using Honda copy switches that has seperate lights on switch I'll now use for B+ feed to headlight & inst lites. mine has key #2 B+to taillight, I'm thinking this will be enough keep battery up, maybe even add some lights under bike like the kids w/mini hotrods......x-mas lights.... possibilities abound! LOL.
10 Oct 2019 01:36 #25

Did this option work for you? Do you have a link and source for the 6v LED? I have purchased a couple of "so called" 6 volt LED lights and neither of them have operated off my 6 volt 4 amp hour Motobat battery. Both work when connected to a 12 volt battery.
Be Happy!
25 Oct 2019 07:52 #26

• Yamalol
  • Yamalol's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Yamalol on topic 1974 DT250 LED Headlight conversion.

I've been having trouble getting my headlight to stay bright. Takes a bit of riding with the headlight off to get the battery to charge to a point of useable brightness. I guess I could keep my battery on a trickle charger whenever I'm not riding, but that seems like kind of a pain. Could also be an issue with the battery. I have a backup I plan to try at some point.

I'm thinking about trying to work out a solution that would allow me to use the lighting coil and a rectifier. I think that could give more consistent brightness if done right? Not sure. I stumbled upon this AC/DC rectifier and am wondering if it would do the trick.
'74 DT250A, '74 DT250A (another one), ‘72 Honda XL250, ‘69 Honda SS125A, ‘88 KLR 650, '57 Harley Davidson Sportster, '46 Harley Davidson WL, '79 Harley Davidson Shovelhead.
Last edit: 29 Oct 2019 07:36 by Yamalol.
29 Oct 2019 07:35 #27

The Stanley DE45 rectifier is the normal rectifier used on the 68 DT1-250, in the charge circuit. It is a 10 amp rectifier. I tried a similar one tied into the yellow AC circuit and in melted, off brand not the Stanley. I am not strong with the electric stuff, just enough understanding to try things and burn up stuff every once in a while.
Be Happy!
29 Oct 2019 15:49 #28

Replied by Luke on topic 1974 DT250 LED Headlight conversion.

This is the rectifier I ordered but haven't installed. Its a bridge...so basically 4 diodes instead of one and you get both halves of an AC sine wave converted into DC. In theory, more available current, less flicker...in practice who knows. There is a minimum threshold voltage to overcome as well, but I think that is true of all solid state. At 50 amp and 1000 volt rating, it seemed sufficient for the Yamaha circuit originally rated in lightning bugs per mason jar.

They are cheap all over Amazon, ebay, etc. This was a 3 pack, more than I need. If somebody is setup to slap one on and give it a try, give me your address and I'll send you one.
30 Oct 2019 12:01 #29

I've been trenching (for electrical 3' conduit) since I got my light & found it was incompatable with my headlight ring (without modification) so I'm still waiting for headlight bucket assembly that fits w/euro style lense. I will test light and charge rates tomorrow.
30 Oct 2019 19:59 #30

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart