facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

6v battery charge rate

Replied by DEET on topic 6v battery charge rate

DISCLAIMER....
I am not a battery or electronics expert..... the following is just my guess
________________________________________________________________________________________

Wet cell batteries (the ones that you have to add water as the electrolyte gets low) have an advantage over a gel cell or maintenance free batteries..... they make their own 'capacity'. (I would have said voltage or current, but I'm sure there would be some popcicle out there that would want to argue the point.)
The lead and acid generate their own capacity all by themselves.

Gel cell batteries want a charging voltage equal to or greater than their own. That is why they don't get charged in the old enduros. The charging voltage delivered from some of the stators is around 2v (and xx amps).

I believe modern chargers use constant current charging.... the old enduros have nothing to regulate the charging current or voltage.

So when you put in a sealed gel cell in an old enduro, you will have to keep it on an external battery charger. If the normal charging voltage is LESS THAN the battery voltage, it won't keep it charged.

You could possibly use the lighting wires to charge it and maybe even convert to an all battery backed up bike.

Or you could buy one of those electronic devices that will convert your whole bike to 12v AND eliminate your battery. It also provides more HP output and traction on wet roads. They also claim to make you more attractive, but I don't know if that can be documented...
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Where the Yamaha Enduro is still a current model...
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Blackhat250, Mothersbaugh, Snglsmkr, Mr Vegetable Trousers, liferbiker
Last edit: 12 Aug 2019 07:36 by DEET.
12 Aug 2019 07:24 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mr Vegetable Trousers
  • Mr Vegetable Trousers's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Mr Vegetable Trousers on topic 6v battery charge rate

Thanks DEET.
A 12v electronic ignition system is on order from Rex's Speed Shop. I have had good experience of his products.
Increased attractiveness in my case is impossible I assure you...
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Snglsmkr, liferbiker
Last edit: 12 Aug 2019 07:46 by Mr Vegetable Trousers.
12 Aug 2019 07:45 #12

Replied by RT325 on topic 6v battery charge rate

Not sure if its possible or probably isn't if battery is mounted parallel to the bike rather than crossways--but--could it be fitted so the breather fitting is uphill when on the sidestand. Is the battery filled to the top rather than the high mark when on the level. I'm probably wrong but i would've thought if the regulator was hooked to the yellow [that's the single wire ac regulator not rectifier] then it would limit everything coming off the lighting/charging coils as they're all interconnected & yellow wire rules as highest output therefore they're all limited to the regulator whatever its limit--say 7.5volts no matter how hard you rev it with lights on or off. If hooked to the blue it'll only help with lights on. Food for thought & put me right if i'm wrong.
12 Aug 2019 15:46 #13

• Mr Vegetable Trousers
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Yes its mounted "fore and aft" so no joy there. As it happens its a case of "they all do that sir"
12v conversion on order. This will also have the benefit of having ignition advance, something the points system does not have.
I will start a seperate post on install it. Or even update my blog and link to that...
www.rexs-speedshop.com/product/dt250-twi...th-12-volt-lighting/
13 Aug 2019 09:04 #14

Replied by MarkT on topic 6v battery charge rate

So any electrical engineers out there please excuse my oversimplification.

I have played around with batteries and battery charging for many years. There is one hard, fast rule: The charging voltage must exceed the battery voltage for any current (amps) to flow into the battery. This is not some "theory". It is something I have measured and observed using voltmeters, ammeters, and various battery charging sources (including a variable voltage charger that delivers constant current to a battery)

Voltage is similar to pressure. Amps are similar to a measurement of flow.

Using a tire as a analogy... If a tire has 10 psi in it and you want to put in more air, your air source used to fill the tire will need to exceed 10 psi. If your air source has 11 psi, the tire will fill very slowly... even if your air tank is 2000 gallons and you are using a 2 inch diameter fill hose... the flow of air from the tank to the tire will still be very slow if the difference in pressure is only 1 psi.

As the pressure in the tire increases and gets closer to the pressure in the fill hose, the flow of air slows more and more. And when the tire pressure gets up to the 11 psi in the fill hose and tank? The flow of air into the tire will stop. It does not matter how much air volume is still in the tank, if the pressure is not higher than what is in the tire, none of that air will flow into to tire.

Now say your tank is 2000 gallons and has 2000 psi and you have a huge fill hose and tire valve and hook it to a tire that has working pressure of 30 psi and a maximum pressure of 100 psi... the flow of air into the tire will be very fast and in a split second the tire will overfill and explode.

That's exactly how battery charging works. The charging voltage (pressure) must be higher than the battery voltage for any current to flow into the battery. The higher the voltage, the more current flow (amps) will go into the battery and the faster it will charge... up to the current limit of the charger and wiring.

As the battery charges, the battery voltage goes up. If the battery charger is a "constant voltage" type, then as the voltage ("pressure") in the battery increases, the current flow (amps) into the battery decreases. When the voltage in the battery equals the voltage coming out of the charger, charging stops, just like how a tire would stop filling when the pressure in the fill hose equals the pressure in the tire.

If you have a battery charger capable of putting out 2000 amps set with the output voltage set exactly at 6 volts hooked to a battery that measures exactly 6 volts, none of those 2000 available amps will flow into the battery. Raise the charging voltage, and the current will start to flow... raise the charging voltage to 2000 volts with 2000 amps available current through some very large wires, and the little 6 volt battery will explode in a split second... just like the tire did.

Hope that makes sense.

:Buds
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Blackhat250, DVM, Mr Vegetable Trousers
13 Aug 2019 09:30 #15

Replied by liferbiker on topic 6v battery charge rate

Ck to see if someone has hooked up the WHITE wire from mag harness. GREEN is normal charge wire, white is used only if battery is in a low state of charge IE short lo rpm rides. The white uses the entire length of charge coil hence increased output.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325
13 Aug 2019 22:39 #16

• Mr Vegetable Trousers
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Wow thats what I call a comprehensive reply, thanks!
14 Aug 2019 01:12 #17

• Mr Vegetable Trousers
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

I dont think the white wire option is possible on the 250B. Here is the wiring diagram of the circuits from the Yamaha workshop manual, mine is wired the same. Standard loom no changes. There is a white wire but its in use as standard as far as the rectifier then its red to the battery.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: malcoops
14 Aug 2019 02:45 #18

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic 6v battery charge rate

I think that I'm right in saying that it was the earlier bikes up to about 1973 that had the white wire for extra charging capacity. Certainly my 1974 DT360A doesn't have it.
14 Aug 2019 03:45 #19

Replied by liferbiker on topic 6v battery charge rate

Your right, later DT's do not (as per schematic) have the white higher rate wire.
14 Aug 2019 04:36 #20

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart