facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Piston

Piston was created by Stem

I have a 1972 RT2.  On the top of the piston, the number "77" is stamped by the arrow and opposite are stamped the numbers "968". What size piston is this?  I need to bore what is the next size?  Are pistons still available?

Thanks,
12 Jun 2024 05:27 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Piston

Almost certainly standard bore piston - others will explain what the numbers mean.

Oversizes go up in 0.25mm increments, and Yamaha oversize pistons will have .25, .5 etc marked on the crown.

Check fleabay for original parts -DOUBLE check what they are advertising is correct, as I've seen some listings say "fits 250 & 360" 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

CMSNL and Partzilla will give the part numbers for the oversize pistons and rings.

Your engineer should tell you which size up to go - eg deep scoring might necessitate two sizes up.
12 Jun 2024 06:27 #2

Replied by RT325 on topic Piston

It'll still be std 80mm which is pretty amazing after 50 years. First over is 0.25mm or 10 thou larger. Just ask your machine shop if it'll clean up at 'that' or if you need to get a 0.50mm or 20 thou over kit.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
12 Jun 2024 14:53 #3

Replied by Stem on topic Piston

Thanks for the help.
14 Jun 2024 06:00 #4

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart