facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

AT2MX points and timimg

• PFC
  • PFC's Avatar Topic Author

AT2MX points and timimg was created by PFC

Good afternoon!
I am looking for some technical help for setting points and timing on a 1972 AT2M; I believe I have a decent understanding, but I must be missing something during the process.
a few questions to start.
is a digital volt ohm meter ok to use or should i use a analog meter?
do I need to disconnect any wiring from the points or condenser or just connect to the black wire from the stator and ground? (Not sure if the condenser will trash the meter readings)

thanks for your comments and assistance!  
23 Aug 2023 09:56 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Tom P on topic AT2MX points and timimg

I made a test light out of a incandescent festoon bulb, but you can use any bulb. I initially set it by sight (with a strong light and magnifying glass), getting the points to open just as the chisel mark on the flywheel window hits the mark, then made the light to confirm it. Post #16 in this thread has a video.

yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forums/gene...rks-on-ct-1?start=10
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325, Sneezles61
23 Aug 2023 11:19 #2

Replied by yam-fan on topic AT2MX points and timimg

By far the easiest way to check timing on these bikes, is to check that the strobe timing marks are correct, and use a timing light. A cheap vernier type gauge can be used to check timing marks are correct, and then timing checked/adjusted with a timing light.
24 Aug 2023 00:38 #3

Replied by MarkT on topic AT2MX points and timimg

PFC,

Nobody has actually answered your questions so I'll give it a shot.

I like to disconnect the points wire at the ignition connector and attach one lead there and the other to a good ground.  You do not have to touch or disconnect any of the wires at the condenser or points. 

On the meter...  the answer is "it depends".  The difference in resistance between points open and points closed is generally less than 2 ohms...  You should see 0 ohms with points closed (same reading as touching leads together) and something between 1 and 2 ohms with points open.

I've never seen an analog meter with an "Rx1" scale that doesn't work great for this. 

Many digital meters struggle.  The numbers bounce all over and you can't get a clean reading.  So the answer on the digital meter is you can use one if yours is giving you a solid difference in resistance reading with points open and points closed. 

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
Last edit: 24 Aug 2023 11:12 by MarkT.
24 Aug 2023 09:32 #4

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart