facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

She’s a twin shock

• msavitt
  • msavitt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

She’s a twin shock was created by msavitt

has badges too!

I rebuilt my R5 which was missing the ball between the pressure plate lifter and the rod. I ended up putting a 5/16 ball I had in as a placeholder and ordered genuine Yamaha because the one I had had a bit of surface rust and is probably a POS from a dresser slide or something that works with crap steel 

Question: will ball roll past new rod seal on clutch actuator side, or will I have to remove and reinstall seal?  I put in a new seal so prefer to not mess with it but can if I must. Let me know and thank you. 

sounds pretty bad ass without baffles which are on order. 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, RT325, Gr8uncleal, AirborneSilva, Ht1kid, Tom P
23 Sep 2022 20:46 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic She’s a twin shock

Very nice! 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Even with the baffles fitted, my own R5 is a lot louder than my RD400C.
24 Sep 2022 00:04 #2

Replied by RT325 on topic She’s a twin shock

I hate to say but the 5/16 ball has to go in from the clutch side. Hole in the shaft steps down after that to the Rod size of 1/4 or whatever the rod is. Actually I'm thinking of my 360 trail but I'm sure same applies. Bike reminds me of my R5 which I should never have sold 40 plus years ago.
24 Sep 2022 00:33 #3

This I'm going to have to eat humble pie there. Just looked up a seal & say 8.8 ID so in theory it should roll through the seal, or good magnet stick as seal will be a bit under size ID to grip the rod. Now I don't know what I'm talking about. Rod must be 9mm if seal is 8.8 I'm guessing. Ignore me lol. I see it steps down into the actuator.

www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/1970/r5/clutch
The following user(s) Liked this Post: msavitt
24 Sep 2022 00:48 #4

Replied by DT-Steve985 on topic She’s a twin shock

Sounds great on idle, have you taken her out yet? 
24 Sep 2022 03:59 #5

Replied by Brzn on topic She’s a twin shock

Sounds fantastic!
24 Sep 2022 06:20 #6

• msavitt
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by msavitt on topic She’s a twin shock

Thanks everyone 
I am going to garage now to see if I can get to ball from actuator side and will report back. 
just ordered baffles from a dude in uk with a good reputation on aircooldedrd website and will install as soon as poss to maintain friendly relationships with neighbors!
I did ride her and def way more powerful than DS7. New 1.5 mm over bores nice and tight

if you love these enduros I highly recommend doing up one of these twins.  I lucked out on both having good crankshaft assemblies but still as always ended up spending a couple of k to make road worthy. 

here’s the before pic 

The following user(s) Liked this Post: yamahahaha, Crazy Horse 124
Last edit: 24 Sep 2022 10:19 by msavitt.
24 Sep 2022 10:18 #7

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by MarkT on topic She’s a twin shock

Wow.  What a transformation! 

I love the sound of those twins. 

I have a couple project bikes myself...  probably will only build one of them (someday).  The other one is a real "basket case" and came with bins and bins of engines and parts...  a few tanks too...  mostly R5.  Some RD350.  Let me know if you need something someday.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
24 Sep 2022 11:20 #8

I recon they go better with the baffles in so let's hear it again when they arrive please. What a transformation you've achieved, looks great. Back to the future i recon. Should do another run of them. Wonder what the factory did with everything. Maybe they still make them in India or somewhere. Thought i'd seen RD350's by another name once.
24 Sep 2022 15:25 #9

• msavitt
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by msavitt on topic She’s a twin shock

thanks!

I took off the L cover and put on side stand and ball rolled out onto floor so seal def. > 8.0 mm, in went a Yamaha ball so now I don't need to worry about a likely Chinese ball disintegrating.

Mark I grabbed this R5 when I found it, partly because I love my DS7 stock (minus lack of low end) and because you said that a 350 top end would make it much faster.  You were so right, the R5 has tons of low-end and is way faster than the 250!  I took the pilot and main jets up one size from stock on  both because I thought the 250 was too lean at all speeds and they were both 1972 and I suspect jetted on lean size due to new EPA.  I kept the needle at stock 4th richest position and as I think RT said its slightly blubbery.  So after validating  resealed oil pump output I diluted 25:1 premix with additional 2.5 gal of gas and this little bike screams!

My R5 was already on 0.75mm over and had an very large amount of wear...I think the oil pump went out and it wore out the bore, but crank survived.  I ignored the experts who recommended (and sell) forged pistons and instead took a chance on IMD Pistons reportedly made in UK 1.50mm over because they recommended the same 0.0015" to 0.0018" clearance as stock which I like.  I do not like sloppy slappy and I hypothesized that forged pistons with huge cold clearances will wear out bores faster, which I don't want since I am at the end of the road with these jugs.  Only time will tell, but this bike is really quick and fun!

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, RT325
24 Sep 2022 15:43 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart