facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

RT-2 ignition switch

• Fudsy1
  • Fudsy1's Avatar Topic Author

RT-2 ignition switch was created by Fudsy1

Trying to get working lights on my RT-2 360. Have power from the battery to the switch, and none after. Took switch apart and there is power to the first disc and not switching when key is turned. Jumped power to the tail light and it works so, wiring is intact. Power off the lighting coils cause the horn works
with engine running. Someone was in to the switch before, cause there are two new solder spots on the switch. Maybe the bad solders or switch put back together wrong? I"m running out of ideas!!!
07 Jan 2022 10:53 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT3Sam on topic RT-2 ignition switch

Fudsy, I don't have any advice. But I am interested in what you find out. I just rebuilt(with old parts) my ignition switch and I don't have light either. Hope someone can help us both.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Fudsy1
07 Jan 2022 11:24 #2

Replied by Ht1kid on topic RT-2 ignition switch

Welcome aboard!!! Contact DEET he is a member here.  Does top notch repair on ignition switches 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Hardworker, Fudsy1
07 Jan 2022 11:29 #3

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic RT-2 ignition switch

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

from the UK.

Lights only work with key turned into the second position ( ie off, position #1, position #2).

Do you have a means of circuit testing? If you do, go to the wiring diagram in the Service Manual (in the Tech Library on this forum) and there you will see a diagram of which wires should make contact with each other in each switch position. Disconnect the switch wires under the tank, carry out the test and report back! 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Hardworker, Fudsy1
07 Jan 2022 11:37 #4

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Also, here's a link to a post that I made showing where each wire sits on the switch base.

DT2 DT3 RT2 RT3 main ignition switch wire positions - Vintage Enduro Discussions (yamaha-enduros.com)
07 Jan 2022 11:44 #5

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

A lot of (most?) original headlights are blown by now, due to the "balanced" electrical system going out of balance! Basically a 6v voltage regulator needs fitting and Yamaha produced a Service Bulletin on this subject - this explained why and how and it can be found in the Tech Library.
07 Jan 2022 12:07 #6

• Fudsy1
  • Fudsy1's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Fudsy1 on topic RT-2 ignition switch

What I am seeing is that none of the wiring diagrams i've come across match up with the switch. I basically have a keyed kill switch. Ordered a new switch but it's backlogged from Yamaha, no ETA etc. etc etc! 
Only thing I can possibly guess is the the wiring harness or switch has been changed out and has different wiring. 
Waiting till i get the new switch before resorting to re soldering the switch contacts.
So, we wait on parts! Can't hardly bitch about waiting on parts for a 50 year old machine! 
13 Jan 2022 12:22 #7

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart