facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Top End Overhaul

• andyccalo
  • andyccalo's Avatar Topic Author

Top End Overhaul was created by andyccalo

So I Finnaly got around to pulling my 72 lt2 apart and when I was looking at the cylinder i saw that it was shoot. I was looking at the some on ebay and found a good looking one that was labeled as oversized. I asked the seller more about this part and this is the responce I received.

"YES YAMAHA MAKES 4 PISTON SIZES SO ITS ON THE FIRST OVER STOCK SIZE SO IT CAN BE BORED UP 3 MORE TIMES"

Will this cange the CC of the bike and will I need to change the carb if I go this route. I am new to this and really would like to see this bike run again.

Thanks In Advance

31 Mar 2021 09:08 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by darinm on topic Top End Overhaul

You wont need to change the carb, it's a pretty minor difference in displacement. You will need to have the cylinder bored and honed at a machine shop. In the ideal world, a local one will have experience with two strokes; take the cylinder in and they'll be able to measure it and tell you how much work needs to be done on it, if it was really beat up they may have to jump to the second oversize to clean it up. Local is nice because once they do the measuring, you can order the correct size cylinder and bring it to the shop so they can get the tolerances dead on with the piston and cylinder in hand.

If they are not experienced with two strokes, they can still do the bore and hone, but you'll have to request they chamfer the ports or read up on how to do it yourself.
1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
2000 Suzuki RM100
2003 BMW F650GS
2009 Yamaha WR250R
2013 Yamaha XT250
31 Mar 2021 09:32 #2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart