facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Gearbox detent plunger

Replied by RT325 on topic Gearbox detent plunger

Not sure where i mentioned the detent plunger but is a possibility. Could see me going into a long spiel though about gear engagement dogs etc. But hope you get it sorted. Love the DT2 & had a lot of fun on mine.
20 Sep 2020 14:54 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by MarkT on topic Gearbox detent plunger

I'm not sure why you would think the plunger is small? It's a fairly close fit into the hole as I remember it. I guess if it's in there worst case is you'll end up with a spare.

You might check and make sure you have the correct spring too. I've never tried it but I can imagine having a correct spring installed without the plunger might be problematic?

Maybe I'm thinking of the later bikes though... they had a hollowed out plunger that slipped over the spring so if it was missing the spring might jam on the cam. I looked a pic of the one that fits the earlier models and it looks solid.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
20 Sep 2020 17:25 #12

• ie305mp3
  • ie305mp3's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by ie305mp3 on topic Gearbox detent plunger

It simply didn't have the sort of gunge up there that might jam something in. Oil was warm and clear, and whatever I was prodding wasn't going anywhere. Looks like the plunger has a slight conical shape to one end of it, presumably to sit in the top of the spring. There was no conical feel to whatever I was prodding at. I felt I was prodding at something substantial. The spring also looked like it was meant to be there. It slotted snugly into the plug at the bottom.

Even being a DT innards novice I'm confident, given the other essential bits missing from the bike, that the original is in the bottom of an oil recycling plant somewhere.

Anyway, infuriatingly, my local-ish UK bike breaker, which has by the looks of things at least six or so '69 to '73 DT bottom ends, and innards from many more, simply wouldn't even check to see if there were any plungers in any of the scrap or even good motors. I even sent photos of where to look. In the time they spent giving me reasons why they couldn't look they could have removed all of them.

Instead, I've had to order one from Texas. Grrrrr.
21 Sep 2020 07:45 #13

• ie305mp3
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Right, plunger arrived waaaaaay ahead of expected delivery date thanks to Ds Cycle Connection in Terrell, Texas.

Now installed - there clearly wasn't one already stuck in there - and just waiting for a break in the rain here in the UK (should be all done by March...) before I get out and see if I have fifth gear on an ongoing basis...
01 Oct 2020 03:39 #14

• ie305mp3
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

OK, so thanks to the fantastic expertise and knowledge on here I now have all five gears on a seemingly ongoing basis.

Utterly brilliant.

Many thanks for the input, guys.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Gr8uncleal
01 Oct 2020 04:53 #15

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Gearbox detent plunger

Great news - another satisfied "customer"! :likey :ROFLOL
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 2fishkev
01 Oct 2020 06:17 #16

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart