facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

MX100 Ignition

• Mkdxxx
  • Mkdxxx's Avatar Topic Author

MX100 Ignition was created by Mkdxxx

My question is if this HT coil is a 6v or 12v coil???

I've been dinking around for more than a year on restoration of this bike and I gave up on the points igniton and replaced it with a HPI unit.  Setup was quick and straightforward with one exception being that the spark is very faint.  After cussing at this issue for a while and testing coils and wires and grounds I think I may have a bad HT coil.  Initially, I had the HT coil from the HPI kit installed with a resistor boot and resistor plug.  I think that is overkill so I changed out plug and didn't notice a difference.  I put the HT coil that was on the bike back on the bike and i think the spark is better...still not super intense.  HPI asked me if the HT coil was 12v or 6v and I don't know what that system is to begin with.  Any help is much appreciated.
31 Jan 2024 20:43 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Tinkicker on topic MX100 Ignition

6v.  Same coil fits many models from fs1 moped to the bigger DTs irrespective of points or cdi system.
01 Feb 2024 02:10 #2

• Mkdxxx

Replied by Mkdxxx on topic MX100 Ignition

so the HPI system is a 12 V system, so does that mean the coil for the spark plug matters in that some HT coils are 6 V in summer 12 V???
 I mean right now I’m using the old coil which I had bought brand new and it seems to produce better spark than the new coil that came with the HPI system and I’m wondering if I have a bad Ignition system somewhere but I have no idea how to test any of it because HPI doesn’t provide that information 
01 Feb 2024 02:46 #3

Replied by Tinkicker on topic MX100 Ignition

If it counted, I am sure your system manufacturer would have provided one.  
So far as I am aware, 6 or 12v only counts if the coil is getting supplied with battery voltage.

Mag system is variable.

Biggest no no is fitting resistor cap and resistor plug together.
Last edit: 01 Feb 2024 04:42 by Tinkicker.
01 Feb 2024 04:40 #4

Replied by MarkT on topic MX100 Ignition

ET magneto coils are not 6 volt or 12 volt as far as I know. 

They also don't normally put out 50,000 volts to the plug when kicking over....  or ever.  Plug gap is often best set at 0.024" or less.

It's not uncommon to not be able to see the spark at all in bright sunlight.  Impossible to know what "not super intense" means...  reading between the lines, I'm guessing it doesn't run?  Could be a lot of reasons that have nothing to do with the ignition system. 
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
01 Feb 2024 06:04 #5

Replied by RT325 on topic MX100 Ignition

If you can see the spark it'll run generally providing it has fuel & is in time etc. spark might look weak but sure wouldn't want to get a belt off it.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
01 Feb 2024 12:39 #6

• Mkdxxx

Replied by Mkdxxx on topic MX100 Ignition

Thanks all. I think the big issue as was pointed out was that I had resistor plug and cap in the system so trading one of those out made very little difference with the intensity of the plug. I started checking the timing and think that was off. I found that it was set to about 2.4mm btc. I brought it back to 1.7-1.8mm and it starts easier.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid
12 Feb 2024 08:22 #7

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart