facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Bad Fuel...

Replied by treeves on topic Bad Fuel...

I am also lucky. I am in southwest Georgia and have a few stations that have ethanol free fuel. I put ethanol free fuel in boat, 4 wheeler, motorcycle, chainsaw and lawnmower with stabil and I don't have a problem with bad fuel.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid
18 Feb 2024 12:00 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Rick C. on topic Bad Fuel...

OK, now how does everyone get rid of their bad gas? Legally or not?
Last edit: 20 Feb 2024 11:41 by Rick C..
20 Feb 2024 11:40 #12

• Tinkicker
  • Tinkicker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Tinkicker on topic Bad Fuel...

In my case it is just the fuel in the float bowls that is the problem.  If I run the bike once a month, it has fresh fuel sitting in them and will just be abe to start next month. 
It will start first press of the button two weeks after being run during the winter, getting more stubborn with each passing week.

I have left it since before xmas this time and it was a step too far.  Once did it before with exactly the same consequences.  Had to do the same as now to get it running again.

In my case I drained the bike and put the fuel in the car.  About three gallons.  No problems.

Bike would not have had problems in the summer either.  VFRs have quite the reputation for being a little on the lean side for good starting on the choke in very cold weather.  
Add in fuel that is not in its prime...

She starts first press of the button every time from April to November. 
December, January,  February and early March however can be a little worrying..

Thats why both DTs have plastic bags tightly fastened on the tank vent hoses.. To try keep some of the goodness inside while keeping moisture out.

Standby Generator is never a problem, it has a sealable tank vent turning the tank into a sealed container.  I am very anal about turning that vent off.  Again, started and run once a month.

Hoping Alkylate fuel will reduce the need for that.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C.
Last edit: 20 Feb 2024 12:30 by Tinkicker.
20 Feb 2024 12:24 #13

Replied by Sneezles61 on topic Bad Fuel...

Our local gas stations that do oil changes will take the “old gas”…. I don’t know what they do with it..
Sneezles61
20 Feb 2024 13:29 #14

Replied by automan on topic Bad Fuel...

mix with old oil and have a BBQ, or bonfire
20 Feb 2024 13:43 #15

Replied by Schu on topic Bad Fuel...

It might work well as a weed killer on long gravel driveways.
I'm only guessing. 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Schu

CT1B, CT1C, JT1, JT2, DT360A, GT80B, DT100B, DT125B,
DT175B, DT175C, DT250B, DT400B, Z50, SCR950

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C., Ht1kid, Sneezles61
20 Feb 2024 13:57 #16

Replied by Badrul on topic Re:Bad Fuel...

Usually i use them for cleaning engine and parts,add some diesel if you want.

At workshop we usually got some friendly customers drop by ,asking to drain thier 4wd gas tank coz their wify or frens that borrowed the vehicle mistakenly refill the tank . They gave it for free of course and we just smilling and thanked for the cleaning liquid for our works .

Sent from my A37fw using Tapatalk
21 Feb 2024 19:57 #17

Replied by Knutco11 on topic Bad Fuel...

My 05' f150 with 340,000 miles on the clock doesn't seem to mind a mild blend of varnishy gas, lol. I'm quite sure the cats are long since expired! 2 stroke oil finds its way into the tank as well, from time to time.
23 Feb 2024 19:26 #18

• Tinkicker
  • Tinkicker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Tinkicker on topic Bad Fuel...

Just for piece of mind, I crept out to the feezing cold shed yesterday, removed the plugs from the easily accessible rear bank and stuck a compression gauge in.

100 psi on the nose for each. Not bothered about the numbers, but pleased they are both identical.

Not bad on a cold soaked, fuel washed engine with half the plugs still in place. Probably see 160ish on a hot, freshly run engine with all plugs out.

My Alkylate fuel arrives today, so I may get the rest of the bodywork and radiator out of the way to remove and clean the front plugs.

Was going to check the valve clearances again, but they were checked 2000 miles ago and VFRs are renowned for not requiring shimming even up to 100,000 miles.

May stick the compression gauge in the bitch to access front bank while the plugs are out though, just for a little more reassurance.
Last edit: 24 Feb 2024 01:36 by Tinkicker.
24 Feb 2024 01:35 #19

Replied by Knutco11 on topic Bad Fuel...

Hey Tinkicker, multiple cylinders, your looking for differences between cylinders.  Your right the number really don't mean jack, except for being even with other cylinders (percent difference.)  For single cylinder engines, get an accurate tester.  For example, I'm 99 percent sure most engines should make over 100 psi.  If you only have 75 on the gauge, that requires some double checking.  Thanks.  Have a great day.  Don't worry be happy!
24 Feb 2024 05:55 #20

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart