facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

RT2 Speedo and Tach fail points?

• RT325
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by RT325 on topic RT2 Speedo and Tach fail points?

In post #1 you said "when i push the tacho cable right in, i get a reading". Just seems unusual--not sure what to think. Is the tacho cable spinning under motor power. I guess it must be, or do you mean 'push it right in' & twiddle it by hand. Common for the speedo cable to "fail to spin" due to drive issues mentioned. I probably couldn't count the number of times a customer would come in saying--fixed a front wheel puncture & now speedo doesn't work. Reason that plate is there is because if the drive goes dry/rusty seizes up then it just rounds out the plate as it sits on the gear & doesn't pitch you off on the highway.
Most common speedo issue 'is the drive gear dry & seized' to the center then the plate rounded out & just freely revolving right where Mark has arrowed in his pic.
Last edit: 25 Apr 2023 05:37 by RT325.
25 Apr 2023 01:10 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by AirborneSilva on topic RT2 Speedo and Tach fail points?

+1 on sending your tach to Deet, he did my speedo and tach and both look brand new!
2023 Tenere T7
1976 DT400C
1975 DT400
1981 DT175H
1972 DT2 250
1980 GT80
1972 JT2
26 Apr 2023 06:20 #12

• Grumman41
  • Grumman41's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Grumman41 on topic RT2 Speedo and Tach fail points?

To clarify, with the bike idling I can pull back slightly on the tach cable and it reads correctly. Normally when you rev the engine it will go to 6 or 7K and hang. This is obviously more than actual engine rpm. 
Im going to check the “tabs” on the front wheel when my new brake pads come in, wouldn’t be surprised if I bent those. I don’t remember even seeing those when I removed the front wheel to replace the tube and tire. 
This bike had quite a few more items to tune and repair than I seen when purchased but one item at a time I’m getting there. All in all it’s a great bike and I can’t wait to put some hours on it.  
28 Apr 2023 14:09 #13

Replied by Brzn on topic RT2 Speedo and Tach fail points?

Tach on my DT2 began bouncing the needle, then stopped completely. Tore things down and could get it to operate correctly with a drill. It ended up being the cable housing had moved up out of the pinched metal sleeve where it attached down at the transmission case essentially making the cable housing too long and not letting the inner cable make complete contact at either the transmission end or at the tach end itself. A new cable had the tach working fine again.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid
29 Apr 2023 04:10 #14

• Grumman41
  • Grumman41's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Grumman41 on topic RT2 Speedo and Tach fail points?

Hhhmmm, didn’t think about that but it seems likely that may be my issue also.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Brzn
29 Apr 2023 08:47 #15

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart