facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1975 dt100b runs! Diode wire question

Replied by Makotosun on topic 1975 dt100b runs! Diode wire question

The bike is coming along nicely! I always like to get the mechanical stuff working before attacking the cosmetic restoration. The bike looks good and I can feel the excitement of getting it going under its own power! I love that moment in the build process. Gives you a super boost in energy to move the rest forward!!!

Congrats!
IF it isn't one thing, it's another.
14 Apr 2018 20:22 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Vapidbruiser
  • Vapidbruiser's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Vapidbruiser on topic 1975 dt100b runs! Diode wire question

Thanks guys! Gotta love that El Toro Orange! I think I'm going to give it an oil change and rebuild the carb next. This is my third Yamaha enduro, never fully restored any of them just got them running well and street legal. Used them as transportation and messing around on dirt trails in the woods haha. In the past I've had a 75 dt250 and a 74 dt360, both of which were stolen from me in the same night! Still have the titles!

Btw Makotosun, that Japanese DT1 advertisement video you posted is one of the coolest things I've ever seen! Came across it when I was searching the forums for old enduro movies to watch, pretty much went down a YouTube hole after that lol.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: oblivionnewtonjohn
14 Apr 2018 22:18 #12

• Vapidbruiser
  • Vapidbruiser's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Vapidbruiser on topic 1975 dt100b runs! Diode wire question

Update:

Received the diode I ordered in the mail today! I crimped it in place of the bad one and BOOM bike is running as it should! I am a happy man! Thanks DEET! Diode came very fast and was really easy to replace.!

:OnFire

And here is the bad one just because

I took some photos with the diode readings just in case anyone else runs into this problem in the future. I took these readings with a pretty basic multimeter, most of them have a diode setting. There are plenty of YouTube videos that will show you how to read a diode using one of these if you don't know how.

This is the reading I was getting from the bad diode, ranged from 545-565v...

This is the reading I got from the new one. Reading ranged from 334-345v so if you're getting something close to this you should be fine. If you're unsure or don't have a tester I would recommend just replacing it, It is cheap and simple to do.

Last time I rode the bike I did notice it bogging up a little here and there so I decided to go ahead and pull the carb for a good cleaning.

Anyone have any good carb cleaner suggestions? I've just used generic store bought carb cleaner in the past as well as gasoline. I've also used air duster to blow out any crud that might be clogging anything up. I have some Purple Power I thought about using but I also heard this can be bad. I've heard of people using everything from dish soap to vinegar. Curious to see what else might do a good job.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: DEET, oblivionnewtonjohn
Last edit: 17 Apr 2018 22:32 by Vapidbruiser.
17 Apr 2018 22:30 #13

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• oblivionnewtonjohn

Replied by oblivionnewtonjohn on topic 1975 dt100b runs! Diode wire question

I also have two 75's that I am currently working on, great read and informative. As far as carb cleaning, I use Berryman's Chem-Dip , it has a dip pail, is reusable. It comes in a gallon paint can found at most auto parts stores. You can submerge the carb, be sure to remove the rubber seals etc. Then use compressed air to blow out all the orifices.
02 Jun 2018 10:58 #14

Replied by rat12278 on topic 1975 dt100b runs! Diode wire question

Do you have a picture of the Winker wiring, I need it bad, can't find anywhere, thankyou
19 Sep 2020 11:36 #15

Replied by MarkT on topic 1975 dt100b runs! Diode wire question

Welcome! rat12278

This thread is a few years old so not sure if OP will answer. There are Service Manuals and wiring diagrams in the Tech Library here. Link at top of page. If you can't find a DT100b diagram, the DT175b diagram will work.

Turn signals are pretty simple. Brown powers the flasher. Brown/white comes out of the flasher to power the handlebar switch. Out of the handlebar switch is dark brown for left turn and dark green for right turn. That's it.

Probably would be best to start a new topic if you have any more questions and we'd like to see your bike!
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
19 Sep 2020 12:13 #16

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic 1975 dt100b runs! Diode wire question

+1 for Mark's comments.

Just to add that the winkers/indicators are earthed from the frame. If any indicators are rubber mounted, then there needs to be a wire with a ring connector fixed between the indicator mounting bolt and the frame, connecting to a black (earth) wire in the main harness. If an indicator bolts straight to the frame/handlebars, metal to metal, then no wires are needed.
19 Sep 2020 12:31 #17

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart