facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Oil pump Numbers ?

• MadMark
  • MadMark's Avatar Topic Author

Oil pump Numbers ? was created by MadMark

I was wondering is there a list of Oil Pump Numbers and what motors they go to?
My pump for 1973 CT3 is starting to leak! I got a bunch of pumps but not sure what they go to. The one in the Bike is #168 . Does anyone know what numbers mean?
Thanks Mad
29 Aug 2017 14:18 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Makotosun on topic Oil pump Numbers ?

The pumps are generally identified by a dot of colored paint, not a number on the part. Somewhere here there is a chart with what the paint codes are.
IF it isn't one thing, it's another.
29 Aug 2017 14:21 #2

Replied by DEET on topic Oil pump Numbers ?

I restore the pumps, so if you want to have your original pump restored, contact me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Where the Yamaha Enduro is still a current model...
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Makotosun
29 Aug 2017 14:32 #3

I just added a PDF of the following document to the tech library under service bulletins. :Throttle

The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT360Fan, 1971DT250
Last edit: 29 Aug 2017 14:46 by Makotosun.
29 Aug 2017 14:32 #4

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

DEET Does Oil Pumps Right!
29 Aug 2017 15:08 #5

• MadMark
  • MadMark's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by MadMark on topic Oil pump Numbers ?

The pumps I have numbers on the black wheel were the cable hooks to. Beside the one my bike (168) I got a #364 and R1. Thanks for the info on color foresees mine is right (yellow)

Last edit: 29 Aug 2017 15:21 by Makotosun.
29 Aug 2017 15:19 #6

This message has an attachment image.

Replied by RT325 on topic Oil pump Numbers ?

Now that's something i've never seriously thought about. What 'are' the differences in pumps. Most of mine are on premix but thought the screw drive thingy was the same through the years so imagined anything would work but not tried swapping to prove a point. Looking at the number on the pump shown on here i'm now wondering if the difference is mainly in the shape of the ramp on the cable ramp thingy, as in bringing maximum stroke up earlier or later in relation to throttle opening. Am assuming all full strokes are the same stroke length & same quantity pumped. Thinking back to early TZ or TD road racer--a guy at work bought a new TD250 if that's what it was called--& had the pump on full stroke, came with no cable roller just full stroke all the time "plus" 20/1 fuel mix & 'very' cold plugs, 10's or 11's, you'd think he'd have a plug oiling problem--well he did lol, was a pain in the bum, hand up on the line as it went onto one pot & the start flag about to drop. Once it's throat was cleared & into full song racing on a fast circuit it was ok--just getting to that point. Think they had a problem of seizing at the drop of a hat--the old one hand on the clutch trick while racing. Suppose they still wanted plenty of oil going in under a closed throttle just to be 'sure to be sure'. Food for thought? for the day!!.
29 Aug 2017 16:12 #7

Replied by RT360Fan on topic Oil pump Numbers ?

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the plunger shaft diameter is different between the larger CC bikes and the smaller CC bikes
29 Aug 2017 16:58 #8

There is also a difference between some models in the thread pitch on the drive shaft. For instance, on a DT it is a coarse thread and on my MX it is the same "looking" pump with a fine thread pitch.

This is the proper drive for the MX pump which also fits the 74-76 250/360/400 bikes.

This next shot is of a pair, the left one is out of an AT1 pump which has similar thread pitch to the MX, however, also has a threaded end to attach a gear. (part number 214-13175-01-00) This shaft fits most of the early architecture bikes up through 72.

The right one is out of a later model DT 400 ( pump with the coarser thread which also appears to be reversed from the AT. It does not have the threaded end for the gear but just a machined end. (This is part number 363-13175-00-00). which appears to fit the DT 250/360/400 from 74-76 plus the SC500!

The bottom line is that there are a lot more subtleties to oil pumps than meets the untrained eye, and keeping Mr. DEET on your speed dial is a good practice.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT360Fan, 1971DT250
Last edit: 29 Aug 2017 17:59 by Makotosun.
29 Aug 2017 17:47 #9

This message has attachments images.

Replied by 1971DT250 on topic Oil pump Numbers ?

Just adding more to this.

Bulletin # 394 for the '73 pumps shows that the CT3 pulley has a 364 on it.

The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT360Fan
29 Aug 2017 18:07 #10

This message has attachments files.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart