facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Opinion on which is better OEM Yamaha or Aftermarket seals & gaskets

• Bikes4Dan
  • Bikes4Dan's Avatar Topic Author
I'm getting ready to buy engine seals (all) and gaskets for my 1975 DT250 and while I find OEM Yamaha seals listed for sale are they ~50 yrs old or has Yamaha been producing these parts consistently so they aren't very old? I'd hate to be installing rubber seals that have sat on the shelf for that long.

Alternatives seem to be places like Disaster Motors etc

I'm not so concerned about the price more the quality of what I'm buying particularly the rubber engine seals.

Thoughts, experience, suggestions ????
13 Jun 2024 15:53 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I just bought some OEM seals from Yamaha. They were not that old. I’d always get OEM when possible. Same for my autos.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
13 Jun 2024 18:27 #2

If you haven't already, it's good to start with any of the various online parts websites, I like partzilla, and see if the particular things you are looking for are still available or were used on other later models. Especially things like seals it's common to find out the part number was used on a golf cart or a snowmobile or something and was produced long after the application you're interested in. Then as a rule I like OEM or pro x best. My $.02
15 Jun 2024 20:49 #3

• Bikes4Dan
Thanks for the feedback guys. In general I also prefer OEM parts when available and my only concern here was age on the shelf for the seals.

I found all the engine seals available at Yamaha Sports Plaza in Oregon. I need to check the gaskets.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid, Sneezles61
18 Jun 2024 10:17 #4

• YamahaForumUsername
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
aftermarket gaskets purchased from ebay or amazon are 75% of the time "homemade" gaskets cut out with a cricut and some o-rings thrown in . So its hit or miss whether or not they used the correct gasket material. if its the correct material, and they scanned it in correctly, there would be absolutely no difference between an OEM gasket and a homemade aftermarket one. Cricut cuttes are getting cheap, real cheap. You may be able to buy one cheaper than buying gaskets.
20 Jun 2024 15:11 #5

• Bikes4Dan
For the gasket set I was considering the one from Disaster Motors or Yamabits. I would think they are a legit seller of properly made gaskets but.... some real world feedback would be nice.

I found all the OEM gaskets except the reed block gasket, at least so far. Also the oil pump cover gasket but that one isn't super critical.

BTW, I looked into the Cricut cutter, pretty cool unit.

Last edit: 20 Jun 2024 17:02 by Bikes4Dan.
20 Jun 2024 17:00 #6

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart