facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

ct2 won;t start

• dglenn
  • dglenn's Avatar Topic Author

ct2 won;t start was created by dglenn

I'm not anywhere close to being a mechanic. i rarely work on my cars. Usually i ask for help. Same with my ct2. This time not even my "mechanic" friends seem to be able to help. The bike won't start. I'm told you need 4 things-air, gas, spark, and compression. I seem to have all 4. The carb has been cleaned, compression seems ok, and there is spark. Since there is spark does that mean that source coil, condenser, points, and ignition coil are good? i have a new b8es plug. I try kicking with choke on,choke off, with throttle, without throttle Sometimes I spray a shot of starting fluid into the air box. I kick and i kick and i kick. Most times absolutely nothing. Every now and then it sounds like it wants to start but then-nothing.Last fall it was running just fine. Then as it got colder and i wasn't riding i would start it every day just to make sure it started..Usually choke on, no throttle and two kicks it would start. Then one day it didn't. And it hasn't since then.
Any ideas?

05 May 2024 19:11 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pahiker
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by pahiker on topic ct2 won;t start

Did you have fuel stabilizer in the gas? If not, the gas is probably bad and you may need to clean your carb. The tiny pilot jet tends to clog easily.
1973 Yamaha RT3
2024 Suzuki DR650
2023 Triumph Tiger 1200 GT Pro
05 May 2024 19:49 #2

• dglenn

Replied by dglenn on topic ct2 won;t start

I did not have stabilizer in the gas. I did however clean the pilot jet Tomorrow or the next day i will dump the gas and add new fuel. Thanks for the suggestion. I will report back.
05 May 2024 19:57 #3

Replied by RT325 on topic ct2 won;t start

Has the fuel tank emptied into the crankcase over a long time. If has just remove the exhaust & push it around the yard with plug out & ignition "off". Alternatively it might have pushed the crank seal out from left or right. If right it'll be getting trans oil in plus air. If left side it'll be just air. But either way it isn't going to run [but might if you tow it on full throttle]. so is the plug getting wet--wet & oily. If it 'is' try trick one--exhaust & plug & push it around to dispell the fuel & try again. If that doesn't work go to trick two--crank seals pushed out. That happens if you kick it hard with a load of fuel in the case--seals pushed out.
05 May 2024 20:00 #4

• dglenn

ok, besides dumping old and installing new fuel i will try your suggestions. and yes, after trying to give it a little throttle and i check the plug. it is wet. thanks.
05 May 2024 20:10 #5

Fist off you might just get lucky holding it on full throttle & kicking after draining the carb out the side mounted main jet. Worth a try first.
05 May 2024 20:26 #6

• dglenn

Thanks! I am trying ALL suggestions!
05 May 2024 20:36 #7

Replied by MarkT on topic ct2 won;t start

Sounds flooded to me.  Not uncommon. 
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
05 May 2024 20:58 #8

One more random thought.
I guess the flywheel "hasn't been off" so unlikely the flywheel key has broken off from 'not' being tightened 'very tight' which could put the timing "anywhere".
Don't think about that just yet.
05 May 2024 22:06 #9

• dglenn

in many of my attempts i have indeed flooded it!
05 May 2024 22:19 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart