facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Plastic Bag Time

• Tinkicker
  • Tinkicker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Plastic Bag Time was created by Tinkicker

A madcap idea I once had, yet it seems to work ok.  During the winter months when the bikes are not going to be used, I zip tie plastic bags on the vent tubes of my enduro fuel tanks.

I first fill them to the top with fuel dosed with Stabil then bag them. 
Theory is that when the area the bike is in warms up, the small amount of air remaining in the tank expands and inflates the bag slightly.  When it cools, it draws air from the bag back into the tank.
This way, the only moisture drawn in or out is the small amount trapped inside the bag when it was originally half inflated.  The ethanol is not drying out the air inside and then drawing fresh moisture in.

Obviously this is only good in low temperatures and the fuel has very low vapour pressure.  Mine is in a unheated conservatory.  A heated garage at room temperature (sheer heaven, i have less salubrious appointments) would probably raise the vapour pressure enough to blow the bag.

I have used the bags twice now and noticed that the smell of fuel in the conservatory vanishes.  I have seen the bag in various states, more inflated and less so over various days, although never more than slightly more than half filled or less than maybe between half and a quarter.  I try to fit them half filled so it has room to adjust either way.

If the conservatory heated enough for the vapour pressure to butterfly the tank, the bags would burst first and there is no way would the tank vacuum with 15 celsius of temp range with a half a litre of air in the bag.

I think it also helps with the loss of volatiles from the fuel, although that is Stabils job in the first place.

Madcap scheme.  I think I have an idea for a flux capacitor next.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid, Sneezles61
Last edit: 15 Oct 2023 08:51 by Tinkicker.
15 Oct 2023 08:48 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by MarkT on topic Plastic Bag Time

Sounds like a great idea to me!
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
15 Oct 2023 12:22 #2

Replied by Tom P on topic Plastic Bag Time

Just don't light any candles or anything that could get close to the bags...
15 Oct 2023 17:13 #3

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart