facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

installing a simple kill switch

• lolipop50
  • lolipop50's Avatar Topic Author

installing a simple kill switch was created by lolipop50

Good morning.
My bike is a 1971 DT-1MX which has no lights, battery, ignition switch; magneto only.
My question is: how can I hook up a simple kill switch? 
Can I just interrupt one of wires coming from the mag?
Thanks for any tips on this as I hope to keep it simple

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

20 Mar 2023 11:08 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by MarkT on topic installing a simple kill switch

If you have points ignition with a single wire from Flywheel/stator, tee into the small black wire from the stator to the ignition coil. (Not the spark plug wire!) Run your new wire to a button that grounds the wire when pressed. This will kill spark.

This is how Yamaha did it.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
20 Mar 2023 11:23 #2

• lolipop50
  • lolipop50's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by lolipop50 on topic installing a simple kill switch

Thank you Mark.
This was actually very helpful and simple to do.
Now, however, I can't get the bike started, ha ha. I think I need to start a new thread about installing crank seals, which I think have a lot to do with creating suction to pull the fuel mix in?? I've been all through the carb (twice) super clean and correct jets etc. Using stating fluid and choke I get one pop like it wants to start but after that nothing.
Last spring the head was off and de-carboned, installed new head gasket and it's been running great until now.
I'm actually the orginal owner and I remember back when the bike was still relatively new I had the same/similar problem which the dealer remedied with crank seal replacement.
I can keep my 64 f-100 on the road but not much of a motorcycle mechanic.
72 year old guy just wants a few more rides

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Thanks for listening.
Chris

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid, Sneezles61
23 Mar 2023 10:02 #3

Replied by RT325 on topic installing a simple kill switch

Just my thoughts & a little experience but crank seals would have to be badder than bad to not want to start at all. If you saw my rough 'as' DT1 you'd understand. I'd be checking the mag crank key if there's a chance the flywheel's been off. Also wildly guessing that if the dealer "replaced seal when relatively new" they likely found the cause elsewhere like carb--or crank key but covered their tail by pointing to the seals. Carbs can be finiky things & small jets like pilot & choke can be a bit tricky. Choke jet is burried down a cavity on inside of the bowl & is fixed in place & may need prodding or at least squirt something both ways through it to be sure. Pilot gotta see daylight through holding up to the light. I kept some accupuncture needles from years ago for that job. Something i've never found blocked is the copper tube reaching down into the choke cavity. Has a small hole in the by memory, about accupuncture size again lol. Engine start should get some action realy. Clean [or new to be sure] plug is a must. Anyway i'm woffling on.
Last edit: 23 Mar 2023 19:05 by RT325.
23 Mar 2023 19:03 #4

Replied by automan on topic installing a simple kill switch

RT,
I have too many primary compression leaks that fail to pump the fuel up.

Prime source of cheap weed wackers/blowers etc.
These are throw-away engines based on the fix.

First clue is plenty of fuel. Pops once in a while.

cliff
24 Mar 2023 12:26 #5

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart