facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Dt3 timing trouble

Replied by Tom P on topic Dt3 timing trouble

A good strap wrench works, braced against the footpeg.

I found the pic, I thought I had deleted it. I just use a Harbor Freight torque wrench, they work great and are cheap!

Last edit: 21 Sep 2022 06:44 by Tom P.
20 Sep 2022 14:58 #11

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bhepp15
  • bhepp15's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by bhepp15 on topic Dt3 timing trouble

Jeez, alright I’ll have to figure something out to get her tighter. I think I’ll have a heart attack tightening something that much but we’ll give it a go 
20 Sep 2022 15:26 #12

Replied by Ht1kid on topic Dt3 timing trouble

I hold it with my hand and use my air or battery powered  impact. Seems to work for me Fingers Crossed 
20 Sep 2022 16:05 #13

I've posted before that I used a 1/2" cordless impact gun, holding the flywheel with my hand, just using my own judgement and watching the movement of the socket. I recently used a strap wrench and torque wrench just to verify it, and it was around 45 foot pounds. I bumped it to 50 just because.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sneezles61
20 Sep 2022 18:41 #14

• bhepp15
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Thanks! The biggest impact I have is the 3/8 so I just ordered a new holder. Sucks to have to wait a few days but this guy has been such a pain for me I’d hate to have more problems just due to lack of torque. I think I’ll still struggle getting the torque as I haven’t had great luck using those holders but I can also pick up a strap wrench. Hopefully she runs like a top after this but who knows.. I’ll probably do a top end in the near future too as the cylinder isn’t showing much crosshatch. Want to get it done by the weekend as I am going to pickup my rt3
20 Sep 2022 20:00 #15

Most 3/8" impact wrenches will go far over 45 to 50 ft lb, so I don't see any reason why you can't use what you have. The only thing is, it's kind of a guessing game, unless you have a way to test it. When I used my half inch impact wrench, I put a piece of tape on the socket with a mark, so I could watch the socket move. I stopped when I thought it had turned enough. I either got lucky or was very good, because it turned out to be around 45 foot pounds. In fact you have less chance of stripping or breaking anything with a 3/8" impact wrench. That said, if you go for it, don't come at me if it breaks :0)
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
20 Sep 2022 20:38 #16

• bhepp15
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Thanks, I think what I’ll do is verify the torque this time and then next time I’ll know. 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sneezles61
20 Sep 2022 20:44 #17

Replied by RT325 on topic Dt3 timing trouble

I'm just thinking my 3/8 drive is pretty useless but is about as old as me haha. That's talking an air driven one relying on compressor being right up. Mabe a modern battery one fully charged is much more possitive than what i'm talking. On the 250 & 360's you'll soon know if its not tight enough as will shear off the crank key. Sounds like you have a good plan though. ya probably gettin sick of seeing my methods but like i said before my cranks are dodgy from previous damage.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: bhepp15
Last edit: 20 Sep 2022 21:04 by RT325.
20 Sep 2022 20:59 #18

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• bhepp15
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Definitely not sick of it RT325, I believe it is great to be overly cautious and I asked the question to see everyone’s method of doing it. This is a new impact with a full battery, it has pretty good beans to it. I’ll have to update with my findings from my torque wrench 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
20 Sep 2022 21:05 #19

Replied by Ht1kid on topic Dt3 timing trouble

RT325 I like your shift rubber  Yamaha yellow color
20 Sep 2022 21:32 #20

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart